Winter hosting in Los Angeles

Jamie-and-David0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Winter hosting in Los Angeles

Hello we are reasonably new to AirBnB. We started last June and were slammed through October-Became superhosts twice now. We were completely booked each month. November is quite a bit slower. I am wondering if everyone is finding this as it does indicate there is a low demand, and I am also wondering approximately how much people reduce their nightly prices for the winter here. Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Since you are relatively new...and successful!!, perhaps you would find partiipating in the Los Angeles Home Share Club useful for the area specific information you are seeking.  Go to Discuss and select Home Share Club and look for the Los Angeles one.  Good luck and welcome to hosting, @Jamie-and-David0

Joy236
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Same issue.  Airbnb sometimes hides listings that are popular to give others a shot.  

How do we know this is accurate data,  Joy? 

Pierre551
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

November is always slow, people leave LA to visit home. December for winter break is high again, people want to escape the cold!

Deborah35
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

I have been a host in Santa Monica for 4 years, and it always slows after summer.  Jan and Feb are pretty down, too, outside of holiday weekends.

This year, I opted to close after labor day after booking pretty non- stop since February.  I need the break, the rental suite needs a rest and refresh.

I don't think it is worth lowering my rates and dealing with wear and tear.  And homesharing, which LA hosts will be required to do after July, means you have to be upbeat and "on" a lot more.

Make your $$ during spring break, summer and fall and the Christmas season when you can keep your rents high.

If you must rent all year, try some deals.  I like to let weekend guests spend more time, so offer a 9:00 pm Sunday checkout, for example (I don't allow Sun. check ins, has not hurt business at all.).

I also have weekend pricing where Friday is a higher rate than Saturday, guests must book both to get the lower Sat rate.

And up your game to become a super host, which I have maintained for 3 straight years.    Super hosts get more bookings and can get higher rates.  You'll need excellent bedding and pillows, a good mattress, fluffy towels, all bath supplies in decent quantities, hooray for Costco for these, but you should have little trouble getting bookings.

Lorena141
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

We have been superhosts for over 1 year.. our reservations have declined 50% since oct/nov...  a friend has had the same experience here in LA... i reached out to AIRBNB and they didn't have any answers for us...  we are disappointed and considering another home rental site... 

Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

THIS IS HAPPENING TODAY  IF YOU WANT TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS ATTEND!

As we head into the weekend, we want to give you a rundown of what’s happening next week. A crucial PLUM meeting is set to take place next Tuesday, March 26. Bring your friends and family - We must come out in full force and ensure our cause is validated and intensified through actions – an easy first step to be involved is by simply making an appearance at every City Hall meeting.

As you may know, the primary-only short-term rental ordinance was passed last December and will take effect on July 1st. If a secondary ordinance for vacation home rentals does not pass, this results in a complete ban of vacation home rentals. The City of Los Angeles has drafted a vacation rental ordinance which cites various regulations and licensing requirements. However, the language is not yet finalized and our time is limited. In the following months, the language will be shifted between PLUM, the Planning Committee, and lastly, the Councilmembers.

Please take a minute TODAY to contact PLUM Committee Chair Harris-Dawson and ask him to support a policy that allows secondary, whole-home rentals. 

If you’ve already emailed the PLUM Chair, use our tools to speak with his office by phone. If you’ve already called, take a minute to send an email.

We must protect our rights as vacation homeowners, show up to every City Hall meeting, and continue to speak with Councilmembers to pave the vacation home rental ordinance to be fair and just.

Event: PLUM Council Meeting

Date: Tuesday, 3/26/2019

Time: 2:00 pm (Speaking roles are very limited and are first come, first served. If we don't show up early, we will lose the opportunity to speak.)

200 N. Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012

We need you to attend and testify, please RSVP via email to info@lavhra.org. Let’s stand together for our last and most important opportunity to fight the ban on traditional vacation home rentals.