agencies using airbnb

Trevor3
Level 2
Alicante, Spain

agencies using airbnb

I've heard rumours that property agencies now use airbnb as a kind of advertising board - promptly redirecting most enquiries to their own sites. What does everybody think? Is this a common problem?

7 Replies 7
Anne44
Level 5
Winston-Salem, NC

I just noticed "Robert" with 34 Wyndam resort listings on Airbnb.  Several of his listings are in the same condo building in North Myrtle Beach SC.   He is presenting as an owner but he then refers them to the Wyndam resorts.  Is this permissable by AIRBNB?

I think it is, but it's kind of a misuse of the intent of the platform.  AirBNB has been removing listings like that lately in many cities. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB

Thank you for the information Tracy.  I have three listings on AirBNB: my vacation condominium, my father's condominium and a "2 condo combo" if a large group would like to rent both.  This is the peak time of year for advance booking for June-September.  

Last year I selected Airbnb as my reservation service because of it's focus on owner -guest relationships.  This year there is a dramatic increase in agency listings and listings like "Robert's" who appear as owners then direct you to an agency.  

I'm glad to hear that AirBNB monitors it. 

Ruth146
Level 1
Kaikoura, New Zealand

I have guests with bad reviews who say the name given at time of booking is an agency?

Ruth146
Level 1
Kaikoura, New Zealand

I'm not happy with being told by my guests that the name they used to book my rooms is an agency as they already have 1 only bad review. I will not  be expecting a review from them as they would need to have left a review before they discovered the only one they have is really bad.

Michael853
Level 2
Miami Beach, FL

I think it’s very unfair that property management companies have other owners homes on Airbnb. It’s not a genuine Airbnb experience and it hurts real hosts like me. 

Mai-Thi0
Level 2
Paris, FR

I totally agree. I rent out my family home in Paris where legislation has become much stricter. Yet I now see fierce competition from agencies (sweet inn Sophie offers 71 listings in my neighbourhood with similar size and occupancy than my flat). Apparently, that agency uses a loophole and makes it legal by using office apartments instead of residential apartments. How can airbnb allow these listings? They let a competitor grow from the inside. I don't see any monitoring of this in Paris: does airbnb really exclude agency listings? If so, how can we point them to airbnb? Can there be a common action from the community?