registration of multiple bedrooms in single family home

Fran63
Level 2
Chicago, IL

registration of multiple bedrooms in single family home

I listed 4 bedrooms of my home in september 2017, using a single number for all. I recently got a letter from the city stating that they denied the registration of one because it was too many for this building. Seems like they pulled that out of their ass, but hey, it's Chicago. Does anyone else have an idea about this or experienced something similar?

5 Replies 5
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Fran63 I am in the same position for one of my listings. Were you able to get a clarification from the city?

. Sorry this took so long. No I just took it off because I dont feel like dealing with the city.  The ordinance is not real clear but I think there is a certain percentage of something you can use. My lawyer friend couldn't even figure it out. I'm so sick of the crap living here, you would think with the 20% tax they charge per rental they would want you to have more.  The Airbnb people and my alderman were effing useless as well.

I thought I'm the only one feel this way

Noah-Team0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi Fran, your best bet is to go to the Small Business Center downtown (8th floor at 121 N LaSalle) and talk to them about this. Maurice seems to be a nice guy. 

Karen-Sophie0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Check out the organization called Keep Chicago Liveable. Their attorney Shorge Sato could probably shake it out for you.