reservations

Anne-Marie2
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

reservations

Hello, 

I received an 'enquiry' for July 7-21, so I engaged with that person to answer her questions and then someone else made a reservation for the same dates a day later which now blocks out the first person.

What would you do? Accept the person that made the request or decline them to accept the person that asked questions before booking.  I feel equally comfortable with both guests.  I feel a bit bath both ways as both guests seem eager.  Are we somehow peanlized for declining people?  Any input is appreciated.

6 Replies 6
John-and-Tim0
Level 4
Palm Springs, CA

Anne Maria, it's definitely a pickle!  When I get an inquiry from a guest who meets my booking requirements I can opt to block those dates for 24hrs.  If they do not meet my booking requirements the dates stay open until I approve the booking.  In either case, it's important to message the guest in your first repsonse about those dates being left open for others to book.

If you cancel on the second guest who made the reservation you risk being penalized for that cancellation.  Also consider that the first person may be only inquiring, the second actually wants (and did) book.

happy hosting!

OK.  This has  never happened  before in the years (off-and-on) that I've been doing this, so I didn't think to block off the dates.  Lesson learned. I'm finally back and don't want to have my scores penalized.  Thanks for the input. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Under Airbnb rules, the first guest to book wins. You will be penalized if you cancel the instant booking. I would apologize to the guest who hesitated and explain what happened. In future you can either block the dates while responding to inquiries or remind the guest that somebody else can book until they commit.

I don't have instant booking on, so it's just a reqular booking that requires my approval.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand this. In that case I would tell the inquiring guest that you have another request to book, and will need to accept it unless the inquiring guest is ready to commit. Whichever booking you accept will make the other inquiry impossible, so you will not need to decline either.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

(and you do not need to officially decline the inquiring guest; Airbnb will automatically change the inquiry's status to "not possible.")