Guest having sex in my apartment whilst I am there (making noise)

Answered!
Kippy0
Level 3
Alicante, Spain

Guest having sex in my apartment whilst I am there (making noise)

I have hosted over 40 bookings in 2 years I think. Never have I experienced what I experienced this weekend. A guest rented a room in my apartment for her and a male friend. I am assuming they are in their early 20ties. At first all seemed well and the guests were kind as always when I first meet them.

This guest is fairly new to Airbnb joined in April (no reviews) so I am also assuming I may have been her first booking. Anyway, fast forward to later in the evening, I hear screeching coming from the room so I asked my bf, if he could hear that noise (from upstairs our bedroom which is on an other floor yet not really sound proof). My bf says, Oh my god I think they are getting it on. I could not believe that a guest would do that not only in a strangers home of which you are merly renting a room, but also whilst the host is present in the house. I also believe they as they were making the bed move they have the knowledge that they would cause for noise.

I am super disappointed in this guest and that she would do this whilst we were in the house. I therefore feel like not giving her a good review at all. I think you can never know what people do in a private room and its the risk you take but the fact that we heard it and they did that whilst we were in the house I believe is super disrespectful. At some point I came down, turned on all the lights in the hallway, made myself known in the space and they still kept it going.

What kind of review do I give this guest? I feel like I have to say something about it but I don't want to get too personal and put her on the spot. I don't necessarily not wish her any future bookings. Advise anyone?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

201 Replies 201
Tom460
Level 2
Saint Louis, MO

Noise of couples isn't so much an issue with my listing, but I'm looking for advice on how to tactfully let guests know about proper Airbnb etiquette of stripping the bed themselves after they've soiled the sheets.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

**That guy who has been off fighting in Afganistan has a leave pass to meet the love of his life for a few days and wants a bit of neutral ground to spend those precious days....do they sit in comfortable chairs and make idle chit-chat!.....**

If there are a few stains on the sheets....they will clean, if there is a bit of 'rumpy pumpy' in the middle of the night, **!  You are hosts, you are the ones that took this on, nobody twisted your arm!!

People are being killed, women are being raped, children are being left to fend for themselves without parents, whole families are being forced to flee their homes and their country to try and start again in another place.....and all you have to complain about is a loud groan or two.....seriously! How about we put a few priorities in order here, and lets not get overly concerned about someone who has managed to find a few nice moments in their lives!

Cheers......Rob

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Susan383
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

If people want sex and I get plenty in all countries then book a hotel. Room!  That’s what they are for.

Geez, Robin... what is your problem? Don't manners count anymore in modern society?  Yes, people are suffering and people are dying. However, there is this thing called etiquette that is not dead.... yet. Or perhaps it, too, is dying, just like so many people all over the world.

Exactly, Susan... Don't hold up in my guest room having sex all day and all night. That is not fair to a host. Get a room. Or rent a whole house, not a shared home situation. Really!

Love this, Robin! So excellently said! 🙂 I loved it and you are so right on with the healing of humanity..why do people have to restrict more people from healing?

Alison107
Level 6
Wilmington, NC

Now, whenever I have young couples coming, I always message them to let them know that, if they have "relations", that's fine, but please protect my expensive sheets by laying down towels.
Sometimes when they read that, they'll just cancel. Which is fine! 

Well my ex husband is running an Airbnb in York the most custemers visiting him are very young Asian girls as you said no reviews and the first reviews are his. Airbnb has a reputation they have used homes as brothels sex offenders as hosts make a resurge my ex touched my 15 year old daughter while she was sleeping the Airbnb must be parides for him.

Alison107
Level 6
Wilmington, NC

If they were only staying one night, I wouldn't say anything, but I would definitely put it in my review that they "engaged in loud intimate activities".

It is up to hosts to inform other hosts of their experiences with their guests; otherwise, we hosts cannot make informed decisions whether to approve reservation requests. I know I appreciate hearing the honest truth from other hosts.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

The thing which I find disturbing here...and forgive me @Alison107 I am not having a go at you specifically. All contributors who have taken me to task say I should have more respect for the fact that something may be happening in my home that is in some way not right, not respectful!

I do not host in my home....can we be clear about that! I host in a cottage on the property. I am essentially like a hotel....the guest is in a room out there somewhere!!! There are a number of locked doors and a considerable amount of garden space between me and my guests. Do those who have had a go at me suggest that people in apartment buildings should not have sex because they are in the proximity of others?....well, this is essentially what you are saying!  You will go to a hotel and have it off where there is someone through the wall directly behind your bed, but you won't in a home hosting environment.....really!!

I have stated that if that sort of activity takes place on my property, I don't have an issue with that....they are not in the next room, or down the hall, so I do not consider it as being disrespectful.

Please will you be resonable and consider that what I have stated refers to my position, the way and the circumstances of my hosting, and does not relate to hosting inside ones personal space. Of course I would find it offensive if it happened in my personal space, but that is not my situation...so please cut me a bit of slack.....ok!

Cheers......Rob 

Robin, with all due respect, I'm not clear about why you are in this thread if the room is separate from your dwelling or sleeping space.

We are talking here about guests having loud (or messy, in my case) sex in the room right next to you, where you, the host, are trying to sleep--or, if you, the host, have kids in the house. So, your situation does not apply. In fact, you should delete your responses since your situation does not apply. You can put your opinion about other people's situations, but you do not have the personal experience in order to understand, fully, what it is like. 

I live in a tourist town, Wilmington, NC. Guests who come usually come for a reason: wedding, beach, sightseeing, visiting.  When a couple shows up for a weekend in Wilmington and spends most of it in the room having sex, I feel I have an obligation as a host to let other hosts know about this.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Every 3 months this thread gets refreshed. It never looses host interest.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13

Yeah it just keeps going and going Fred. 

I came onto this thread on 29th May 2016.......yep, almost two and a half years ago, in answer to Kippy who wanted advice on how to handle her review of a guest who had noisy sex in her property. That was all Fred. Kippy agreed and accepted that advice but, certain puritanical elements ever since, starting with @Susan, who somehow suggested all Australians are uncouth, have kept the bandwagon rolling! And the unfortunate thing for me is Fred the whole thing has got entirely away from the answer I gave to Kippy at the start of the thread and the very reason I was here in the first place. And every time the da*n thread pops up I get email notifications  and get dragged back into it and told I don't belong!

Never mind, I hope Bird Island is managing to stay clear of the devistating weather events that have unfortunately struck the US...and that all is good with you oh hosting guru!!

Cheers......Rob

The oddest thing @Robin4, last year Harvey passes us quite wimpy and then turns into Rambo as it approaches Texas, and this year Michael passes us and drops a little rain and then decides to turn into Hercules. Go figure.

this post ...it’s amazing lol