Guest having sex in my apartment whilst I am there (making noise)

Answered!
Kippy0
Level 3
Alicante, Spain

Guest having sex in my apartment whilst I am there (making noise)

I have hosted over 40 bookings in 2 years I think. Never have I experienced what I experienced this weekend. A guest rented a room in my apartment for her and a male friend. I am assuming they are in their early 20ties. At first all seemed well and the guests were kind as always when I first meet them.

This guest is fairly new to Airbnb joined in April (no reviews) so I am also assuming I may have been her first booking. Anyway, fast forward to later in the evening, I hear screeching coming from the room so I asked my bf, if he could hear that noise (from upstairs our bedroom which is on an other floor yet not really sound proof). My bf says, Oh my god I think they are getting it on. I could not believe that a guest would do that not only in a strangers home of which you are merly renting a room, but also whilst the host is present in the house. I also believe they as they were making the bed move they have the knowledge that they would cause for noise.

I am super disappointed in this guest and that she would do this whilst we were in the house. I therefore feel like not giving her a good review at all. I think you can never know what people do in a private room and its the risk you take but the fact that we heard it and they did that whilst we were in the house I believe is super disrespectful. At some point I came down, turned on all the lights in the hallway, made myself known in the space and they still kept it going.

What kind of review do I give this guest? I feel like I have to say something about it but I don't want to get too personal and put her on the spot. I don't necessarily not wish her any future bookings. Advise anyone?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

201 Replies 201
Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

I live in a hundred year old house with thin walls, so everything gets through. My neighbour’s young son sleeps in the room on the other side of the wall from my guest room, and he shouldn’t have to be able to hear this kind of activity.

This is why I only let to single women. If they bring anyone back, then they’re out.

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Hi Kippy, I wouldn't call their behaviour "disrespectful" but it certainly was immature and unthinking. The comments so far indicated that since they paid for the room, they should have the right to have sex in it. That may be true, but it doesn't have to be loud sex and, really, if you and your boyfriend were the ones making the noise, I don't think anyone on this list would be surprised if your guests requested an early check-out.

Airbnb isn't a hotel--it's part of the "sharing economy", which means that the rules are somewhat different. I just spent the week in an Airbnb that was lovely. However, it was also in a house that had "close quarters" and hardwood floors. There was no host living on site, but there were several bedrooms occupied by different guests. I would have felt hugely uncomfortable had this happened while I was there and for sure I would have said something the next morning and/or moved to another place.

If they want to make that kind of noise they really do need to get a room, and not one at an Airbnb. 

The ONLY thing I would do, since it made you uncomfortable, is to take her aside and ask her to try to be quieter at night. That's it. Nothing in the review. As a host, it's something we have to deal with from time to time.

She has left so I cant pull her aside. 

Rosemary317
Level 2
Ramsgate, United Kingdom

I know this happened a few years ago - but if it happens again and it bothers you, I would write a private note to guest but wouldn’t say anything in the review. 
I have a guest who is currently doing the exact same thing😐..

I'd be WAY to bashful as a host to try and have that conversation. lol

Agreed thank you for your feedback.

In that case, I would say something about their being noisy. What they did is akin to playing music in a shared space or talking loudly outside of someone's bedroom. It may have been sex--and you're right to approach this gingerly--but it was also noise and it disturbed you. No need to go into detail about what caused the noise, but I would definitely mention it, even if you sandwich it between some nicer things. I have a self-contained flat so this sort of thing wouldn't bother me, but for those on Airbnb who rent out rooms in their homes, this would be a welcome heads-up.

To be honest, I would write a review that wasn't blunt, but would get the message across. Something to the effect of "Friendly guests, but noise levels suggest that a hotel would have been more appropriate". If the guests can review you boldly, then the hosts should feel likewise.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Kippy0

Send them a very polite message through the Airbnb message system. Something like: Please realise that sound carries in older houses, and I would also remind that you don't damage the floor by scraping furniture over it.

Suggestioin for a review:

"X and her boyfriend were lovely but were overly exstatic in their enthusiasm. Once they get more Airbnb experience, I suspect they'll be very good guests indeed."

Great feedback andrea thank you!

Dear Kippy

It seems that you need to relax. Sex is a wonderful thing. Nothing to be ashamed about or disgusted by.  My review would be most positive and would comment on  the fact that your guests were very comfortable there, to the extent that they felt no qualm with expressing their intimacy.. 

And hey, you are in Amsterdam after all. The city of the night. **

Loving you.

Peter 

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Who cares if they had sex in your double bedroom - you acommodate two guests of the opposite sex so this is to be expected, especially since they are on vacation.  Your review should only be based on whether they left your place clean and didn't break anything. Sounds like they had fun staying in your place.

Peter, you are totally missing the point here. **

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I agree Peter! Said so very lovingly! Sex is a wonderful thing. Why shame the guests? I agree completely. Intercourse can be healing and also very romantic.