A sensitive one...

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A sensitive one...

Current guests - a son/dad combo staying in the double-bedded room in our house. A bit boisterous/noisy, but nothing too ridiculous (and I get they're having some dad/son time). Until last night (or this morning). 

Arrived home at 04:01 (I'm a lightish sleeper), heard they weren't alone and a quick glimpse of the camera (outdoors facing towards my drive only) illustrates three of them; son/dad and a female. Cue laughing/music on, wine glasses etc.

Son takes female into room while dad impatiently stands out front tapping window to get in.

At 04:35, female leaves. 

As a reminder, this in a room in my house. Rules prohibit 'night guests'. And, by default, disrespectful behaviour. 

Do I:

1. Ask them to leave

2. Say something 

2. Get over/ignore it (they've got two nights left) but leave a very cool (but non-detailed) review

Thanks for any insights/thoughts. 

10 Replies 10
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Gordon0 how embarrassing for you . you must say something . along the lines of speaking yo both separately father and son. simply say that part of the rules for them sTaying in your home is 'no overnight guests or visitors.'Tell the son first and then the dad . Say usually guests all book in on one reservation and no one , not on the reservation is allowed to be in the home. tell them they must go out to see others and are not to bring them to your home . Ask them to decide if they can keep the rules for the remainder of their stay or would rather cancel ? Tell them that this behaviour has made you feel uncomfortable and disrespected .all the best H

Say nothing about seeing them on cctv just say you heard and saw them as you were awake.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Gordon0 how long does the reservation have to go, 2 nights? If it's only that I probably would not say anything and just leave the appropriate review. Something like:

"So and so were friendly guests. There was more noise than anticipated for 2 people and extra late night guests. Left our place in good order (or extra clean up required, whatever is true) . We would recommend to hosts who allow additional visitors during stays and don't share walls "

Then low scores on house rules and communication at least. Up to you if you want to say you would host them again or not. 

If there's escalation in noise or partying on nights 2 and 3 I would probably call Airbnb with the cctv shots of extra guests and ask them to cancel the rest of the stay. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

No one would fault you either way. Keep them so as to keep the money and then TERRIBLE review. Seriously TERRIBLE. 

OR shake them awake & show them the door at 5am. 
gah. People. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 ignore and very bad review is my thought

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Gordon0 

Yikes! As a fellow homeshare host, the fact they brought someone INTO YOUR HOME would do it for me. I'm not sure off-site hosts understand the violating way this feels.

What would I do? I would not say anything, but have an eagle eye on them the rest of the time. One more disrespectful move and then I would send them packing. Either way, my review would skewer them and I'd give a 1 for following rules.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 

I suppose it depends on whether you think they are going to repeat this behaviour or it was a one-off. It also depends on how you think the guests would react to you speaking to them about it. Sometimes it's not worth the confrontation or negative review when there are only a couple more nights to go.

Personally though, I would find this behaviour totally unacceptable and would say something about it. These guys should have booked a hotel, not a room in someone's home.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Update. They didn’t leave the room until gone 5pm yesterday, presumably hungover from the night before. These are two guests I haven’t met (it’s a weirdly private set-up, so not unusual to avoid guests). They are leaving tomorrow morning. They’d asked to see if I’d store their luggage until Thursday - that got a big fat no and a link to luggagehero. I won’t see them before they leave (fingers crossed) so going to go for a brutal one-star review. Bizarrely, their handful of reviews from this road trip have been stellar - perhaps this is their ‘what happens in London stays in London’ swan song.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 wrote:

Bizarrely, their handful of reviews from this road trip have been stellar

Well, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the review system... Then again, perhaps they previously stayed at units where the host was not on site and therefore not privy to their 4am shenanigans...

My least favourite guests of all time had the highest number of good reviews of any guests I've hosted and a 5* rating. I couldn't understand it, but then realised that they had only stayed a night or two at least listing and often not met the hosts. I can't believe anyone who had spent eight days living with them could have given them a glowing review. 

@Gordon0 fingers crossed that the rest of the stay is uneventful. 

Store luggage until Thursday?? People are interesting.