Advice on legality of strata restrictions in Perth Australia

Answered!
Ruki16
Level 1
Kingsley, Australia

Advice on legality of strata restrictions in Perth Australia

Hello Hosts

I am a relatively new airbnb host in Perth, Australia. 

Recently I’ve had a new neighbour complain to strata about my airbnb, (despite indicating all guests have been pleasant, quiet and respectful). The neighbour had not had the courtesy of chatting with me to identify what specifically her issue is so that I have a chance of addressing or mitigating it, she’s just gone straight to strata.

Strata has indicated that they do not allow airbnb.

My query - is strata legally allowed to restrict my right to an airbnb if there is no specific local council by-law preventing or restricting airbnb in my area?

I am in Mt Lawley, Perth. The position appears to be slightly differnet in different locations in Australia. 

Does anyone have experience or advice on this issue? 

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Ruki

1 Best Answer
Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Short answer yes. You need to look at the bylaws. 
Also Airbnb only allows 90 days a year if you are not living on the property. 

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't know what 'strata'  is but absolutely your local government can impose STR restrictions in your location. Details of any STR restrictions/licensing will be on their website . @Ruki16 

in addition some apartment blocks and housing estates also have restrictions against STRs or running your own business .

as the business owner it's our responsibility to check if there are any STR restrictions before setting up our STR business .

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Short answer yes. You need to look at the bylaws. 
Also Airbnb only allows 90 days a year if you are not living on the property.