AirBNB and Council Tax in Scotland

Steven290
Level 1
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

AirBNB and Council Tax in Scotland

Hello,

I have a 2-bedroom flat in Aberdeen, Scotland which I list on AirBNB for short-term stays (up to 30 nights).  Can anyone tell me what arrangements apply for Council Tax?  Should the property be assessed for business rates or do domestic rates still apply?  The Council seems to be silent on the matter (I have not asked them directly but there is no information on their website about their policy towards AirBNB properties) and so I am interested to talk to an expert in this area and to find out what other hosts are doing.  Please note this query is in relation to Council tax in Scotland - there are different arrangments in the rest of the UK.

Many thanks,

Steve

6 Replies 6
Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Steven290 Council tax rules will vary from council to council.  Here in Argyll there are council tax exemptions for small businesses.  It is irrelevant whether you use Airbnb.  Search 'small business council tax relief Aberdeenshire'.  

Bob227
Level 2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

My wife and I are just in the process of gaining exemption from Council Tax in Aberdeen City.  Thanks for the advice and creaating the thread. 

Jennifer2220
Level 2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

How did you get in with the exemption.  I am still paying full council tax and it’s a lot of money per month 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jennifer2220 there is no exemption from council tax. However if you rent short term only and meet a criteria of a certain number of nights (varies by location) then you should be registered for business rates. If the property is small enough then small business rates relief applies and you will pay zero for said business rates.

Thank you.  I’ll look into this.

Roddy4
Level 2
Kirkton of Durris, United Kingdom

Hi Jenifer,

Just wondered if  you ever got any clarification on this?

I've just been sent a note from Aberdeen City Council for backdated 100% empty property premium to 2017 which is clearly wrong as it's been rented for that whole period with short term lets.

I had provided names only to the council as I felt it was breaching confidentiality by providing addresses. 

I'd welcome any info on where you got to so that I could look into the same thing for my flat too.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards

Roddy