AirCover request? GOOD LUCK getting reimbursed for your actual out-of-pocket costs!

AirCover request? GOOD LUCK getting reimbursed for your actual out-of-pocket costs!

AirCover is a joke and much worse than the previous system. We had about $6,000 in damages and were very meticulous to gather photos, videos, invoices, and statements from the cleaning and repair crews. I understand how this kind of thing goes, and I respect that Airbnb has a responsibility to carefully review and deny any claims that are poorly supported or where the host is trying to gouge them. I get it.

However, as expected, our request was slashed, but without any kind of real reasoning. There were about thirty people staying for 4 days, drunk and smoking the whole time with unsupervised young children, from diaper age to preteens, running around wildly (per the Ring doorbell). One of the most frustrating examples is that for the smoke remediation service, we used the same crew we've used twice in the past, and we had no problem getting reimbursed 100%. This time, the invoice was cut from almost $1,000 to $250, with the only explanation being "That's industry standard." It absolutely is not. Industry standard in our area is $4,000 for a whole-house service. I've called three times and nobody knows where to refer me. I also emailed over and over asking for a simple response about the Stanley Steemer invoice. We had to have a sofa, rug, and stair runner professionally cleaned due to extreme filth--the rug was literally dragged outside and left in the rain, covered in mud, and the sofa had alcohol and soft drinks spilled on it in addition to nail polish, ground-in food, and cigarette smoke. Despite all evidence being uploaded within about a week, it was never listed on our claim response--they simply overlooked it. And when I pointed it out over and over, I never got a straight response, just a copy-pasted answer.

So I decided to escalate. Guess what? The resolution team member who handled our claim said I didn't need to submit a written notice of dispute (which is what the fine print says to do, by the way), and instead he said I can call and ask to talk to the "concerned department." And then he also gave a different address that's not the same as what's in the fine print. So I called, and yep, the next person I talked to had no idea what I meant. We've moved to sending a written notice of arbitration. Atrocious service. GOOD LUCK if you have an AirCover claim. We are seriously considering moving off this platform.

83 Replies 83

Hi @Daniel9196,

Thank you for sharing your experience and concerns with me. I have asked our team to review your claim and someone will follow up with you once they have looked over everything.

Best,

Catherine

@Catherine-Powell

Since I filed my aircover claim 3/18th and have called in several times to follow up, I've received no feedback or voicemail or email regarding why they CLOSED my claim. As a Superhost I expected more, or at least some communication avenue. What did I do wrong? Am I missing something from my detailed claim regarding reservation HMA4JXNJNY? Please help. During Covid 3 of my claims were unpaid and closed with no explanation. They have to communicate via email at least. Thank you for your follow up support, Catherine.

Hi @Denise1112,

You're completely right and we should definitely have followed up with you to give an update. After reading your note, I asked our team to look into this and they've assured me that someone reached out to you to chat about this further.

Warmly,

Catherine

@Catherine-Powell

@Jenny

I am reading this thread because I have a similar story. I've been going back and fourth with customer service for a month now. My polished concrete floor was damaged by a vinegar spill. The lowest estimate I have gotten was $1000 to: sand down, polish-up and re-seal. Airbnb sent me $162 with no supporting documentation. When I asked for more information I was told this amount was based on "research" but they wouldn't share any of it with me. Next, they asked for an invoice on company letterhead which I provided. They continued to send me robotic general emails with no application to my claim. Once we started talking about how the policies actually apply to my specific case I had a lot of objections. When the CS rep saw that I had a good case to actually be reimbursed they then raised the bar and gave me a huge list of requirements just a few days before the 30 day deadline. Knowing that this request would be impossible to fulfill on that timeline I never heard back from CS again. 

I would really appreciate airbnb fulfilling their commitment here instead of finding loopholes and running out the clock.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Ted428 ,

So sorry to hear that you didn't receive the resolution you sought.

Although the internal teams would be having processes in place to determine a claim, I have made sure to relay your feedback to the related teams. I hope someone reaches out to you soon.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you, I did hear back yesterday from a new person who is reviewing my claim. Aircover is presented to hosts as top-bottom coverage. Its really scary that we are not allowed to collect a security deposit in lieu of Aircover but we aren't ever actually reimbursed for the cost to repair anything. I couldn't imagine what a liability claim would look like. This whole experience leaves me feeling quite exposed. 

Update!

Airbnb did pay out, its a shame we had to fight for 5 weeks to get there but credit where credit is due. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Ted428 ,

Thanks for coming back and updating us! Really glad it is resolved for you🌻.

-----

We have been waiting for a response since early February.  We have submitted all documentation, photos of holes in the door and stains on the floor.  There’s been 3 other host reviews detailing exact behaviour and yet we are being completely ignored. I message, get told we are valuable to them abs then case closed with no communication. We are about to move to another platform as we are so disappointed in the service. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Karen3321 I'm really sorry to read you've been waiting for an answer for some time now. I've pinged the team on my end for you, and if I get any more updates I will make sure to let you know!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

This sucks. I am sorry to hear this happened to you. Did you ever get reimbursed?

We are a super host and have three properties. We are going on day five and have filed a claim on Airbnb with no response back from their customer seat service team, a series of prepackaged messages that come one after another from anywhere other than the United States or North America and to add insult to injury the guest has already left the country.

i’m not exactly sure what the multi million dollar air cover features offer any type of host on Airbnb but it simply equals lack of customer service and sheer lack of communication with anybody that is following the rules on this site. Still waiting for somebody at Airbnb to call us! Our claim damage is totaling over $20,000 at present.

I have run into problems, Emilie. I texted you earlier. Can you please contact me? 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Gerri-Elise0 

Emilie is out of the office at the moment, but if you'd like to message me, I can escalate within Airbnb to try and get you some help where possible.

Jenny

-----

@Jenny I have had the same issue as this gentleman, can someone please help me? We have been calling daily since January 2022 for a situation that happened in November 2021.