Airbnb Host Referral Scam

Lauren3071
Level 2
Tulsa, OK

Airbnb Host Referral Scam

I have done a host referral in the past and everything has gone smoothly. This is my second time doing so and everything went well until it was time for me to receive my $720 referral payout. I have emails/notifications saying that the payout has been released but still not been paid. The host I referred got his pay out but I still haven’t. I’ve called customer service probably 20 times but they are pretty much useless.

22 Replies 22
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Benjamin1170 @Diane1374 

I found this article about the Host Referral Programme which might be useful.  It also includes links to the terms and conditions.  It might be worth having a look through to make sure your referral met the relevant conditions?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes, thank you Jenny. I have met every criteria. I was told by Airbnb that I met all criteria and they were “surprised the money wasn’t in my account yet, but would be there any day” a month ago. Follow ups have led to the chat being closed, or someone new telling me completely contradictory information or just guessing as to why I haven’t gotten the referral money. I am one of thousands of hosts Airbnb is doing this to. There will be a lot of money for a lot of people to recoup in this class action. Threads on this site show Airbnb has been doing this since 2015. The company is very well aware of its practices and is making a huge profit off of it intentionally.

Did you ever pursue any class action on this? I’m now facing the same issue as they’re saying NYC is excluded (there’s nothing on this in the terms and conditions, and also the property of my referee is in NY state not NYC..). 
I’d be interested to collaborate- thanks. 

Hey Diane! I'm dealing with it too, would love any more information about a class action lawsuit or if you went to arbitration with them, how it worked out!

Hi Diane

It's happened to me too and I'm not getting through to anyone.   I even did a joint call to Air BNB with the new host and they still said there was nothing they could do to help me and there's no escalation point. 

If there is a class action please add me - **

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

I also referred a friend to be a host after she bought a house with a separate apartment. I am not receiving the stated $720 referral which I was counting on for a future vacation. I am sorry but not entirely surprised to find out this is a bait and switch. Unfortunately, this isn't something that the company will feel much pressure to fix because the affected people are solidly working with established rentals and have little incentive to change platforms, and our words to anyone outside the program won't be a deterrent.

It's just sad and disappointing.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble receiving your referral payout.

I had this same exact issue come up today! They refuse to acknowledge their error and told me it expired.