Airbnb cannot back up its Host Relief Act

Brooke229
Level 3
Rapid City, SD

Airbnb cannot back up its Host Relief Act

When all of this started about a month ago, Brian Chesky (CEO of Airbnb) was feeling the heat. In an effort to get gig worker hosts and ongoing media coverage off his back he quickly released a statement indicating that the Host Relief Act would provide 250M in relief grants to hosts that qualified. 

I think it was something up to $5000 each. Has anyone seen a dime?

I am here to tell you now, I am an eligible host. Not a single cancellation. 100% occupancy rate. Super host and in a popular location as well.

I've made a lot of money off Airbnb and I've made them a lot of money as well.

Called the first time to apply for application for grant, after asking the Airbnb representative a series of reasonable questions (when can we expect it? how much will each person get, etc), not only did she have no idea what I was talking about but she also got beligerant and hung up on me.

Ok.

Called back. 2nd rep had to do some lengthy research but did in fact find the grant information. Sadly, she nor I realized IT WAS COMING OUT OF THE EMPLOYEES POCKETS ACCORDING TO THE GRANT STATEMENT! 

She kept her composure, ensured that I am in fact eligible and would be receiving an application in days to come.

It's been two more weeks and nothing.

My dudes. This is a joke. We have been duped. Homeaway is already calling me and trying to sway my business over to them because they know that Airbnb has not protected us as hosts, this needs to be dealt with. 

Some of us have lost THOUSANDS in a matter of weeks with absolutely no liability to Airbnb itself it is disgraceful and I'd like to hear what some of the rest of you have to say about it because I'm disgusted.

92 Replies 92

So no one has received an invitation to this so called relief application? This is ridiculous! 

they confirmed that they didn't sent invitation email at all! It's just BS!

RaeandJarrod0
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

My frustration is that relief seems to only be for those with a Strict cancellation policy... I'm a Superhost who lost thousands of dollars in bookings, and because we have a Moderate cancellation policy, we get NOTHING! That's what we get for being reasonable hosts while those who take the hard line with their cancellations get everything?? So unfair, and hard to see the logic! The governor of our state banned short term hosting (except for COVID care workers) so it's not like a gray area with how they'd figure what cancellations are due to the crisis- they all are!! Very disillusioned with Airbnb after this, and absolutely looking into switching to another platform. Like I need this stress!

Brooke229
Level 3
Rapid City, SD

UPDATE: As of yesterday Airbnb released a statement confirming that they "graciously" will be accepting cancellations through THE MONTH OF JUNE NOW HOWEVER the Airbnb Host Relief Act WILL NOT, I REPEAT WILL NOT qualify for reimbersment to host of these cancellations. 

WHAT. A. JOKE!

Any of you hosts out there still want to defend Airbnb??

Look I get that this is meant to be a form of supplemental income...but...is it?

I know for me personally as a millenial I saw 911 and then the great crash of 08 and you know what? NOTHING GOT BETTER SINCE THEN.

Somewhere along the line with inflation and school debt and everything else we adapted and overcame and figured out how to pay some bills outside of a 9-5 working for some jerk with the help of technology: aka the apps that gave us Airbnb, Uber, Rover etc. but here's what I don't get, if these dollars are taxable then why the hell aren't they being considered at legitimate income?

I mean seriously. How convenient for the powers that be!

You should be pissed. I'm pissed. The whole economy collapses around us and we're all told we're going to get money BUT WHO THE HELL HAS SEEN IT? NOT ME, NO ONE I KNOW!

What are we gonna do about it?

Brooke, you can try the PUA program...s.et up by our government for freelancers, artists, hosts, etc.  They will be accepting applications for the first time at the end of April.  But look....I sympathize with you....and all of the great Superhosts on Airbnb that have not been included in this so-called "relief fund."  For me...it's a little bit more hurtful because I started back 9 years ago....only a couple of years after Brian Chesky and Joe started this company and believe me....it was wonderful back then....a GREAT sense of community and a definite sense of partnership.  That is no more.  No more.  That is because this company was allowed to grow too big, bringing on far too many hosts in every region of the world, taking in no consideration for the small communities in popular areas rising with so many hosts that one has to hope for luck in getting a booking ...EVEN AS A SUPERHOST  with over 300 5-star reviews.  It makes no difference if the host rents  a bedroom of his/her apartment out....as long as there is a bed....you can "make money".  It's heartbreaking for us as I have put my heart and soul into hosting for Airbnb for years and years....never had anything less than a 5-star review and have been a Superhost ever since they started.  I feel that with the billions they have earned now as the owners of Airbnb....they should have taken the responsibility to offered relief to ALL Superhosts and not done this 'luck-of-the-draw' for some....and especially only considering how much a host made in the past many months....NOT how long they have been working....really working hard for the company with NO recompense...just a slight earning...and all the while building up the name of the company...at my cost.  If you divide $5,000.00 by the 9 years I have hosted ( my yearly expenses running well into the $40,000 range)...it would come out to Airbnb compensating me at this terrible unexpected time of a pandemic...ONLY $550.00 PER YEAR! Think about that! Meanwhile I am spending far more for all the amenities I offer my clients here at the Retreat....every year building the reputation of Airbnb even higher...making them more money while they have created a monster that has seriously cut into our monthly income for the past 2 years now.  At the very LEAST I, and those hosts like me, should have received a $5,000.00 check ...and immediately.  Instead he chose his own team of people that work for Airbnb to pick and choose who gets an application and then all decisions are based on what we earned for them in 2019.  It's been an absolute stab in the back for me after all these years.  And worse...no one seems to want to take the time to listen...or even make sure the word gets to the owners, Brian Chesky, Joe and Nat.   At this point it's just heartbreaking for all of us that knew this company when it started....when there actually was still room for "a partnership" and who worked so damned hard for this company....and then not to be compensated in a time of disaster. IT's really bad....for everyone involved.   I can only speak for myself...but I wish this were different...that owners actually did care about the hosts who have given their all since the beginning of his company and who earn an absolute microcell of money compared to what they have earned from us and our guests.  I have no words.

Micki3
Level 1
Denver, CO

So do we HAVE to apply?  I also understood that there were two programs. I have no desire to take money from the employees but I do believe that the company can step up and help.  I have never canceled on a guest and have been a superhost for over a year.

@Micki3  You can't apply. You'll either receive 25% back for cancelled reservation or you won't. You'll either receive an application for the Superhost grant or you won't. 

This is just horrible to hear Sarah.  I hope you will read my posts above.  

Hi Mickie... read my post.  It will explain a lot....I think.  As I stated I have been Superhost since the first year they initiated the plan....I think thats' 5 years or so?....never had less than a 5-star review...and on top of that trying to RUN the business I developed under the Airbnb umbrella when it first opened...The Chianti Life Retreat.  It's just truly heartbreaking...and I feel the system of relief ...completely unfair, unjust and an inadequate way for the owners to show these long time hosts they truly want to help.   I wish you every good luck. Stay safe and stay well! Ciel

There is no program taking money from the employees

I have spoken with the employees. Airbnb has absolutely already stated that the donation of so called funds is coming from the employees or rather from Airbnb on the employees behalf. Still messed up either way you look at it. Initially the employees were not made of aware of this and to my understanding some of them are still not (it's very clear if you call Airbnb that no one there has been briefed on anything except cancellation dates) either way no matter where or who it comes from Airbnb has yet to pay a dime.

why?? is there program taking money from any one?? just the one you have not receive.. every body loose some thing today..

Jeffrey Bong

@Susan17 I have just recieved this announcement from airbnb .

The highlighted reservations need your attention
They’ll become fully refundable if we extend our Extenuating Circumstances coverage. We’ll share an update on May 1, but in the meantime we encourage you to reach out to your guests. 
So this would mean no 25% relief program too . Am really confused , under what category superhost like me would get the relief program . 
English is my second language , so I have to do extra thinking to understand , or it is all "my wishful thinking" when Airbnb gave the idea in my head . Anyone can advise with simple language please . Thanks hosts .

Grace680
Level 1
Richmond, CA

I just called today about super host grant, the representative said so far there is no act at all, and no updates either, she just keeping saying they don't know. It's totally BS!  The announcement was just publicity for Airbnb company! 

God, I hope not Grace.  That would be it for me.