Airbnb errors in collecting Occupancy tax in Alberta

Allison94
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Airbnb errors in collecting Occupancy tax in Alberta

I submitted an issue to Airbnb last week after discovering a glitch with the incorrect amount of occupancy tax being collected from guest reservations for one of my listings. In the Province of Alberta, Hosts are required to pay a quarterly 4% tourism levy tax for all short term reservations (under 28 days), and this 4% is added to all of my Airbnb listings under ‘Laws and regulations > Taxes'  and is collected by Airbnb as an occupancy tax from guests. During my recent reporting, I discovered that Airbnb did not collect this 4% tax for 3 guest reservations,  and I discovered 13 guest reservations where Airbnb have collected the incorrect amount which is clearly a Airbnb glitch. Each reservation with the incorrect tax amount being collected has a different payout total, but the tax difference for every reservation (not collected by Airbnb) is $6.76. Example 1: Base Fare + Cleaning Fee = $1366 > 4% of $1366 = $54.64 > Airbnb collected $47.88 which is $6.76 less than the $54.64 that should have been collected. Example 2: Base Fare + Cleaning Fee = $567 > 4% of $567= $22.68 > Airbnb collected $15.92 which is $6.76 less than $22.68 - this repeats itself for 11 more reservations (including future reservations). 

It is worth noting that this issue has not impacted my other listings.

The Airbnb support that I’ve received to resolve this issue has been atrocious. After my initial call I was asked to provide an email including supporting documentation for every reservation impacted, which I did. A few days later I was contacted by a second Airbnb support ambassador who told me she didn’t have the ability to open PDF documents. We had a lengthy phone conversation, and I was assured she had the information / documentation she needed before getting off the phone. I was then passed off to another Airbnb support ambassador, then another, then another. I have been assigned to 5 different Airbnb resources, and still no resolution. This issue will continue until it is resolved. 

Airbnb Community Managers @Bhumika ,

@Quincy @Paula @Breanna and @Sophia can you please help?  

1 Reply 1
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Allison94 ! Hope you are doing well.

Thank you for tagging us along in your post and I am sorry to hear that this is still an on-going issue for you.

As you mention being in touch with the Support team, have you already heard back from them? In the meantime, I am also sharing it with relevant team if they can get back to you in this regards once they've reviewed the case.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines