Airbnb

Thomas2135
Level 2
Kambah, Australia

Airbnb

AIRBNB CONSUMER WARNING   AIRBNB CONSUMER WARNING

Beware/beware of using Airbnb during the COVID 19 pandemic. Why? Because Airbnb seem to be using the ongoing disruptions caused by the impact of the COVID 19 pandemic to withhold legitimate refunds for cancelled accommodation bookings!

My family and my travel and accommodation to attend a planned family wedding in Brisbane, Australia later this month (August 2020) had to be cancelled because the wedding itself was cancelled due to the international and interstate travel restrictions imposed by the Australian, Queensland and other state governments. To make matters worse for the potential bride and groom (who were planning to travel from New Zealand for their wedding in Brisbane), there were also harsh restrictions on the number of people who could attend any wedding.

I understand the legitimate health policy reasons for the travel and other restrictions. And clearly these factors are beyond the average consumer’s control or influence.  But to date Airbnb has not accepted this as legitimate grounds to provide full reimbursement for our cancelled accommodation bookings.  Our booked accommodation host in Brisbane has advised that she supports a full refund of my $1036 deposit but says that Airbnb hold my deposit and Airbnb alone can provide any refund.

Where to from here for consumers whose travel and accommodation plans have been adversely impacted by the COVID 19 travel and other restrictions?  Consumer affairs agencies, free legal aid?  The airline industry has an airline customer advocate office – is there a similar body to pursue Airbnb? From this frustrated consumer’s perspective, Airbnb seem to be using the cover of the chaos caused by the COVID 19 pandemic to delay and/or reneg on their customer service responsibilities and obligations? Thomas

3 Replies 3
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Thomas2135  Your host isn't telling you the truth.  She can simply go to your reservation and choose "Send or request money."  From there she can choose to activate a refund to you.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann72  Also possible that the host simply isn't aware that she can do this.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ann72 @Sarah977 There are many claims on this community that sending money in the way you propose will cause the host to end up paying out twice. I have no idea if these are true but, as a host, unless the cancellation were my fault I would wait until the guest or Airbnb cancelled the reservation.

Thomas - when was the accommodation booked? If pre March 14 2020 then you should have no problem getting a full refund. If post March 14th then Airbnb seem to be not willing to refund their service fees. In the UK this would probably be illegal - see law around Edward VIII non-coronation. I think Australia has similar laws - I suggest you google them before calling Airbnb again.