Aircover for hosts

James3881
Level 2
Pangbourne, United Kingdom

Aircover for hosts

I've tried to make two Aircover claims for damage over the passed year and AirBnB refused them even though the damage is perfectly genuine. The first was two radiators that got broken but I couldn't work out which out of two guests did it, so AirBnB refused. Even though both guests Aircover should cover as its real damage from guests. Not being able to work out who out of two people did it is a technicality which isn't even in the Aircover terms as far as I'm aware.

The second someone put a foot shaped hole through the bed and I didn't realize until over 14 days later as it was under the mattress and I don't always flip the mattress between guests. I guess someone was jumping on the bed. AirBnB refused as it was over 14 days. They don't mention these additional rules in their advertising and you have to learn them the hard way. Is a 14 day claim time limit even legal in the UK? Its usually 180 and is that from discovering the damage or when the actual damage took place? I'm just annoyed that AirBnB makes out Aircover covers you for damage from guests but that isn't true is the majority of run of the mill cases. Its been enough for me to stop hosting along with one bad review. I do feel animosity towards AirBnB for shirking their responsibilities and making out one thing while doing another.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@James3881 Aircover is not an insurance policy and so is not covered by any regulator. It also basically pays out at the whim or Airbnb. Hosts are well advised to buy proper insurance for their Airbnbs especially as many household policies are invalidated by operating an Airbnb. I would read the small print of your home insurance or you might get an even more unpleasant surprise in the future.

I think that's the point. It's advertised as a insurance but it's technically not. It's name of "cover" is misleading. Contents and building insurance typically have 180 days (as does mine) which is a lot more than 14 days. And it's from when you become aware in most policies which again isn't the case with AirCover