Any body out there with info on San Diego City council proposal to limit short terms rentals and demand we obtain a permit via a city lottery in order to operate?

Rose1435
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Any body out there with info on San Diego City council proposal to limit short terms rentals and demand we obtain a permit via a city lottery in order to operate?

Little to no info about this on the City website. Any info will be appreciated. 

2 Replies 2

@Rose1435 San Diego recently implemented new regulations limiting short-term rentals. The ordinance caps the number of whole-home short-term rentals to 5,400 units, which is roughly 1% of the city's housing stock. To operate, property owners must now enter a lottery system to obtain a permit. These licenses are valid for two years, with priority given to property owners who have previously complied with city regulations.

The goal of the new rules is to address concerns over housing affordability, as proponents argue that the proliferation of short-term rentals has contributed to higher prices for long-term residents. Critics, however, argue that cutting back on short-term rentals won’t significantly impact housing affordability but will instead hurt tourism and responsible rental operators. Enforcement is set to be stricter, with 16 officers dedicated to monitoring the new system. **

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Why am I not surprised by this.    Our city council is a dictatorship lead by idiots! First they encourage building ADU's with liberal zoning and now they want to curb our ability to recoup our expenses in building an ADU AND curb visitors to San Diego. We are a tourist town  and  the city derives  alot of income from them. Who do they think rents the majority of ADU.... tourists!  I have lived here 50 + years and seen it all. We have a shortage of housing because for years city and county discouraged builders with onerous fees and long lag times for permits.  I have builder friends who have moved out of the San Diego market because it was just too difficult.   They created this problem, now they want us to bear the burden to fix the problem they created. I doubt if the majority even own their own homes.  I hope our community wakes up and gets rid of this inept bunch on next election.