Are you too getting ridiculous price tips?

Are you too getting ridiculous price tips?

I am finding that the price tips given by Airbnb are just crazy low, they wouldn;t cover the cleaning and laundry...anyone else feel the same

177 Replies 177

Bravo @Mark26!

Yes I bought the con of the price tips in December 2015 after I first joined - Arbnb lures us new people into using them, suggesting or basically promising "great reviews" from our first guests.  

For me it did not work that way at all!  My first two price tip guests were budget travelers, who acted entitled and pompous. As it turned out they did not appreciate the impeccable cleanliness and extra 5 star things given to them in addition to basic essentials plus “shampoo”.  These two gave only 4 star ratings and what I think were dumb half-assed reviews.  And it wasn’t until after I raised my prices back up to “reasonable” did I get a “great” guest and a 5 star “great” review.

See the thing is that I have been doing this for 12 years (before Airbnb) and so I KNOW what a “great” guest acts like and what a good review looks like.  Also I feel like I was lured into using the price tips by Arbnb because I was new and wanted (and needed) the reviews.   

Olga6
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Funny thing: 4 stars reviews I got from most problematic guests!

Entitled unrealistic ..... Airbnb is encouraging hosts to be either cheritable or leap into some irrational competition: how much more can you give for how little, even if out of pocket......Prices are steadily going down, many more people joining in...starting low obviously...that is what you do when starting. Back to price tips: my profile is at the moment displaying suggested price of £0 - £7 per night (property market value £1 000 000) !Obvious glitch....but ironic!

Janene0
Level 2
Lavington, Australia

I cant get airBNB to get any price right for my listing . Every time I try to adjust it , on the calendar ,then I check my advertised listing -it has some huge figure  in I dont know what currency. !!!! Very frustrating website and no-one to phone for help

Some people are simply not worth the small amount of money you get to host them. at any price!

Yes I found too that the pricing was not sensitive to a sell-out festival in the area where there was only 17% of the property left to rent 6 months ahead of the festival. I am New and was feeling that something was not right. Guess you have to trust your insincts and check the market out on your own. Thanks for the info from a Newbe.

I am doing Airbnb hosting since more than 4 years now, at the beginning there were no price tips at all, then they came up and were quite reasonable, but in newer times they just seem to be ridiculous especially with the promission that you get more guest when you lower your rate, in some cases you might get more guests but what kind of guests. Even if the price tips are considered to be intelligent with seasonal holidays, weekends etc., my experience is, that they don't work because local events, festivals, trade fairs etc. are not taken into account, also in some areas the holiday seasons are different to others. I never followed any price tip and I don't have the impression that I have less bookings and the most important I am really happy with my guests. With too low prices you get low budget guests who generally don't appreciate your efforts.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Aren't the price tips related to what other places around you are charging? They are not made up from thin air surely. I charge less than the weekend tip... Don't find them low at all.

Not at all. I've checked the hotels around me, and they are NOT charging $20 per night, as Airbnb wants me to!

Airbnb pricing is set up to maximize bookings.. you as a business owner have to set the prices that will be best for you.

Tatyana5
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Mary Ann, 

If you have a minute... How long did you leave it on their low suggested prices until you stood your ground? I have thankfully had wonderful guests  (just 4 bookings so far) but did offer 20% on what was already a very reasonable price. My base price for a whole luxury apartment is less than the cost of a standard double hotel room locally, but Airbnb's forecast is that I won't have any bookings unless I drop the base price much more than what is reasonable for the costs and time.

There are very cute properties nearby of a similar type. These similar properties are priced about 12-22%% above my current price (what I planned on raising to after a couple years) and are booked up. On the other hand, they all have 100- 200 reviews. Not sure I can drop my price and wait that long.

Thanks in advance if you get this and can reply x:)

I find airb&b's price suggestions truly offensive, and I've told them so over and over. Their comparisons are equally offensive.

I offer a 2bedroom home with lr,dr,large well equipted kitchen, family room, and nice outdoor area, parking, laundry. They're offered food for breakfast, and the list goes on and on. No-one asks for a discount, and all reviews have been 5*. So, they compare it with a basement apt?

I will be leaving air within a year, and that is why

Alison31
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I absolutely agree. I charge 3 times the rate they suggest for Rio which is USD33.!!! $33 for a huge suite in a luxury penthouse in the best area of Rio de Janeiro. They're having a joke.

I also object to the notion that putting your price down gets you extra bookings which gets you started. It does not. It just gets you the wrong type of guest who you absolutely do not want in your place.

I have now got the bookings and reviews I need for superhost entirely due to self marketing in the first 2 months. And I don't accept anyone I don't feel entirely comfortable about.

The moral is - If in doubt follow your instincts. And get used to saying "no" if it doesn't feel right.

Olga6
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Too many people starting up with small prices builds unrealistic expectations.

Neither guests nor Airbnb take in consideration actual market value of the property.

I inadvertantly placed my room for 6000 a night the suggestion came back at 2700 a night

Ha ha!