Are you too getting ridiculous price tips?

Are you too getting ridiculous price tips?

I am finding that the price tips given by Airbnb are just crazy low, they wouldn;t cover the cleaning and laundry...anyone else feel the same

177 Replies 177

See! There really is something wrong with their programming!

Tatyana5
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hahaha. That is telling.

Wow i am new to the AirBnB scene. we are having our 3rd guest. I looked at my competition and set the price. If no one reserves and there are alot of activites i am overpriced for my competition or area. so far this week i raised my price to a more fair price for all of my  work and got 3 MORE reservations. its like looking to buy a house. if you want to spend A$100,000 on  house you would no look at  $50,000 listing price uless you were doing a rehab.  People are smart they know cheap can mean trouble.  i travel alot and would never stay cheap since i hate bed bugs, scary locations and poorly kept properties.  Its just trial and error no one to blame get out there and try the market it will tell you what it thinks by renting or not.

I use everbooked.. it's been fantastic.  I keep reasonably well booked and have yet to get a booking that was as low as airbnb's price tips.

They also have a comps tool which makes it easy to see pricing and activity for listings nearby.

You can get a free 90 day trial ***.

So what's the code?  It's starred out. can you spell it out with spaces between it?

Well said! 

I am totally ok with all your comments. I am a new host. I was really surprised by the price tips and I did not followed at all. 

Hi Helene, do you know how to turn off the "price tip" function?  I would like to control the price myself.  Thank you

I totally agree with you that you do get what you pay for!  Kudos on this post.

I so agree! And, I'm glad to have found this thread. I'd rather not put myself out to even be on Airbnb for the prices they keep trying to get me to list my home for.  

Agreed. Well said.

It's like Uber cutting driver share... or like Amazon did to associates who were actually website promoting amazon - or amway.

We have 3 units in Fort Lauderdale a single family 2 bed home sleeps 6 and 2 one bed units.

Today the new tips are $52 for a 2 bedroom - in 90 degree heat my ac bill is $12 day  - 

We ARE at $115 my lowest for a 2 bed. 

You do get to the point looking at those numbers that a yearly or long term is in your favor especially in a "good area" for rentals. Depends on how you use the rental you have listed

Like uber  - you can be sitting there for hours (days for Air) waiting to make $10 while you could be making $20

So don't make 10, they'll make $20. 

Best way  - we keepin touch with the over 200 guests we have had in our 2.5 years - you can try to please everyone  - but it's nice to throw a discount at returning guests. Much easier.

TOTALLY @Marc88

I worked so hard to get my 5 star rating, and now air bnb wants me to slash my rates.  Guests have repeatedly told me I should up my prices but now all the newcomers in town are following airbnb's price advice and listing at 50 euro a night.  The consequence is that I have a fat 0 bookings.  (I'm in a small out of the way town, but normally get 4-5 good bookings a year.

I'm going to leave my add on for now but I'm investigating other options.

It's a race to the bottom, and no-one is winning.  In protest I will not be booking ANYTHING for my own work or holidays on Air bnb.

@Alice-Kiandra0

Alice I am sorry you are struggling with your bookings. You have a beautiful listing in an absolutely gorgeous village, you should not be struggling for bookings.

Possibly you should promote yourself a different way. Lift yourself above the ordinary...those listings that just offer a room or two. Your listing photo shows you at a mixing bowl and I would just bet you are a great cook!!! People from Australia, and I guess the rest of the world consider Italy to be the home of great cooking skills and food. Is there some way you can cash in on this and promote not just the wonderful food of the area but what you yourself could offer to guests as a 'masterclass'! Offer something guests can't get in Rome, Florence, Venice, or even in that beautiful village of Lubriano.

I made a statement (just a throw away line) at one stage that my wife Adrienne was the best Pavlova maker in the country. We have had guests from as far afield as Vancouver Island coming here to find out how to make a Pavlova. After a while your reviews will build your business...the guests write the reviews that bring the guests that write the reviews...and on and on it goes.

Alice, I don't host to a price, I host to a style, I am not in a mainstream tourist area but month after month I am fully booked.

Make yourself something that other hosts are not Alice, and the world will beat a path to your door. Airbnb is not a race to the bottom, it's a lot of hard work but it is so rewarding if you just find your little niche that will make prospective guests look!

Cheers......Rob

That's really kind of you Rob, and I will take your advice on board.  I had great bookings (I use the house to so its a not always available), and I already have GREAT reviews.  

But my next door neighbor, very similar house, same view, also has garden, listed her place at almost half the price of mine.  So unfortunately, at the moment, there is just so much choice in Italy on Air Bnb and travellers are so often booking the one that costs less.  I'm hanging in there, I would prefer 1 good booking to 2 rubbish ones.

Grazie, Alice

@Alice-Kiandra0 che strana coincidenza. Stavo leggendo il forum ed ho visto il messaggio di Rob che mi ha spinta a guardare il tuo listing. Io vivo negli States ma sono cresciuta in Tuscia e conosco Lubriano (e Civita) molto bene. 

Il mio listing e' per una tiny house e Airbnb suggerisce un prezzo base di $22! Roba da pazzi.

In bocca al lupo,

Giulia