Australian house and contents insurance for owner occupier

Mal-and-Sim0
Level 2
Bondi Beach, Australia

Australian house and contents insurance for owner occupier

Hi,

my wife Simone and I have been Airbnb hosts for 7+ years. We Airbnb our granny flat that is located under the main house we live in. In the past we have insured our home with GIO.

it would seem GIO are exiting short term rental insurance when owner occupies the property. 
I’ve had a look at past discussions on this issue and the insurance providers mentioned either no longer offer the insurance we need and or are more than double what GIO charged. I’ve tried to get Airbnb involved however they have been of no assistance.

im wondering if any other hosts can share their insurance provider with me

many thanks in advance,

Mal

2 Replies 2
Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

@Mal-and-Sim0  Did you search the forum for insurance australia?  I know I have outlined this topic in several earlier threads. 

Surprised GIO ever offered STR insurance - most of the large insurers do not.

I have 2 airbnb apartments on top of me - all part of the same standalone house - so similar situation.  I use Ceneta Insurance Services and they sometimes change my insurer each year- they look for the best deal each year, Single premium to cover both my area plus landlord insurance for STR.  My current policy with them is HomeBiz Homeshare

It has been going up - a lot since I first started - as most insurance has after all of these weather disasters.

Currently just under three thousand PA.

Hi Wendy,

So so for very slow response… 

I have contacted the insurer you suggested and have accepted their quote. Thanks so much for the recommendation. 
in the furture I will research this chat group better to avoid repeat questions.

many thanks again.

Mal