Winter Release Q&A session

Awaiting Payment

Answered!
Slawomir0
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Awaiting Payment

Hi all

It is happen second time I have accepted booking request and then it shows Awaiting Payment anyone had similar problem?
Thanks

Top Answer
Slawomir0
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

When you go to 'your reservations' in first column 'status' always you got in green color 'accepted' instead that I got in yellow 'awaiting payment'.

My understanding of process of payment is when the guests send me booking request Airbnb checking they card details and if everything is ok send to me booking request. There are only 2 options scam or airbnb has faulty payment system . I use other website to get a booking and never happen something like this. if I accepted payment/booking request all is ok.

View Top Answer in original post

99 Replies 99

@Kirstin38- Yes, I had this happen once.  A woman staying in my house who was running out of money and clearly had no place to go.  She tried extending and then the extension stated the payment had not gone through.  The system read as the original reservation was unchanged and I told her she would have to leave at the normal checkout date and time.  She wound up coming up with the money and extending.  I am not sure what would have happened or how the calendar would have looked on my end had she not paid but still tried to stay in the house.

@Kirstin38  It could just be the Airbnb system, or it could be that her payment method is maxed out. 

You should talk to her, let her know the payment hasn't gone through and that she needs to contact Airbnb and straighten it out today, or she'll have to leave.

this option seems to be something new that Airbnb allows and this is the second one that I've had that held my dates for 24 hours and nothing came of it....seems unfair to me the host. 

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

I had my first experience with this today with a request to book at 4AM for a check-in that day then no communication and also "awaiting payment" on the reservation.  The reservation technically was to start today, but no sign of the guest into the evening.

My big question is, were they even sent the residence address by AirBNB??  I would certainly hope not.  I myself did *not* provide check-in information or send a door code since this, for me, is not an active reservation.  I can't see the profile of the guest and the status on my calendar says "this reservation is almost confirmed" so it shouldn't be active.  Also, if some person were to attempt to show up at the house or in the middle of the night, I would absolutely consider it a trespasser since I have no reservation for them and wouldn't be able to confirm who they were.

Chris1537
Level 6
Nedlands, Australia

Seems this has been going on for a long time and Airbnb have no intention of fixing it. So many hosts losing money and Airbnb do nothing.
It happened to me again the other day and I explained to them how this can be exploited but still they don't care.

1. People can secure accommodation if they think they will need it, if they do, they are covered, if they don't there is no penalty for them.

2. If I wanted to ensure more business for myself, I could create a fake account and block the calendar of nearby hosts to better my chances of getting last minute bookings.

This second point is quite sinister but absolutely doable and Airbnb enables it. Surely for this reason alone, they should change their system so that calendars are only blocked if a booking is confirmed and paid!!

I noticed that this technique is used to block a listing for a period of time, I had a request that booked for 30 days but still waiting payment confirmation.

I think this should not reserve the slot until he pays, it is a technical issue with Airbnb and as usual Airbnb don't care about hosts loosing money.

Recently it is happening more and more, I had a reservation booked that same day check in and left the reservation waiting for payment confirmation. 

When I called Airbnb to remove it after 12 hours, their so called Airbnb Ambassador don't know anything about Airbnb process, they want to leave the apartment blocked till the next day (so I loose one full weekend day for nothing).

For information when you get this type of reservation, Airbnb won't even send you an email or notification it simply block your calendar. You don't have a reference number, you are like suspended.

I had to speak to three Airbnb Ambassadors because they don't understand the issue and keep saying it is a process within Airbnb. Until the third one understood the situation, one hour of my time plus the negativity to explain the situation three times.

Brian Chesky I hope you read my comment and please change the process so the host have the option to either wait or cancel the reservation if it shows waiting for payment.

I would appreciate your read the above host community comments and treat this change request as urgent.

Do you have the phone number because I am calling too!!! 

I had 3 people back to back and one guy I told to cancel due to 4 hours no response. It should not block your place for 24 hours more like 2 hours max!

So I had a lady book yesterday for a special event going on in our area - the booking kept saying waiting for payment . She then would not respond after check in time . I couldn’t cancel her and she wouldn’t cancel so my place went without being rented -NOT happy! I tried getting in touch with Airbnb but no one wrote me back , like it said . Is there anything I can do? It’s so unfair! This morning it’s still saying awaiting payment.

Vano2
Level 2
Tbilisi, Georgia

Guests requested to stay 2 more days, I accepted, but the payment didn’t go through and it says “awaiting payment “ . While I had “instant book” ON for the listing I got another new reservation on the days. I informed existing guests that I got another reservation while we were waiting their “awaiting payment “ and I told them that they have check out on the next day. They call to Airbnb and shows that they have receipt 🧾  that they have been charged for these 2 days . Airbnb called me and said that they should cancel the new reservation (which I got while we were waiting “awaiting payment “ ) and support said me I should turn off the “instant book” because  my existing guests already been charged and they have right to stay at my place. Now what:) .. I have free in calendar, I haven’t get nothing updated reservation, I didn’t get payment and the reservation is still “awaiting payment “ 

Vanchop15