BROKEN KEY

Pamela925
Level 1
Mirboo North, Australia

BROKEN KEY

Hi. A guest has snapped the key in the lock of the front door. Probably unintentionally. I have had to organise a locksmith to come down and fix the lock plus give me a new key. Should i request reimbursement from this guest? Has anyone experienced this before? Is this worth following up or should i just accept the cost and move on? I dont want a bad review obviously 

26 Replies 26
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Pamela925 

Yes, you should request reimbursement from this guest, do present the receipt and invoice.

In addition, you should contact  Airbnb Support Help Center immediately, " Live Chat" with a CS? ( not an Airbnb bot) Usually, you will have an answer from them within minutes.

Do request from the Airbnb case manager to claim your " Host Guarantee".

The Airbnb Host Guarantee provides protection to a host for damages to covered property in the rare event of guest damages above the security deposit or if no security deposit is in place.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

Hope you can resolve the issue, get the reimbursement from the guest or either thought Airbnb.

@Pamela925 "Probably" unintentionally? I'm struggling to think of a reason a guest might break their key on purpose.

Personally, I would never claim for damage that wasn't caused by misuse or negligence. In all likelihood, the guest was just as inconvenienced by this accident as you were. If you have reason to suspect that the guest broke the key on purpose, or by failing to follow your instructions, you can initiate a resolution request. But of course you would have to accept an inevitable bad review. Can't have your key and eat it too.

Ian611
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Are you serious, keys don’t break easily,Pamela has been caused a lot of hassle due to this breakage.

@Ian611 Actually it can happen very easily. Twice I've broken a key in a bike lock, once in my front door - not due to being careless or drunk or stupid, but because these mechanisms are imperfect.

I have no doubt that the incident was a hassle to deal with, but damage claims aren't measured by hassle. The host expressed concern about a bad review, which is valid: if the guest doesn't feel at fault for the accidental breakage, he'll have a very negative outlook on being asked to pay for it. And if the guest disputes the resolution request, there's a good chance Airbnb will side in their favor in this situation. So you have to weigh the consequences and ask yourself if it's really worth it. 

Ian611
Level 4

I have had the hassle of claiming for a new mattress,what a nightmare that was especially when I had guests due in 5 days time. I haven’t made any claims for destroyed bed sheets and towels,I just went and bought new ones.I have never broke a key in my life BTW..So the next time some crashes into your car you not going to be bothered and say oh these things happen?

@Ian611  If someone crashed into my car, what I'd say is "wow, I didn't even know I had a car!" But I have been in a car accident as a passenger, and of course I was bothered by it. We're talking about something vastly more serious than a broken key, and I was far more concerned about survival than compensation.

How nice for you that you never broke a key. I hope you never experience a car accident either, but yes they do happen - even to responsible drivers. 

@Ian611  I have had keys both bend, break, and get stuck in a lock. Not from guests, but myself, and I'm a careful person.

Comparing that to someone crashing into your car is like comparing someone accidentally breaking a plate to them setting your house on fire.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Happened to me ... a Guest lost the house key room key...eeeek.

I would have had to get a locksmith out anyway. I just decided to pay for that service (I did wonder if the Guest would offer to pay for the service but no it didn't happen). 

Instead I did not issue the Guest with a replacement key I asked them to let me know their movements and let them in and out, just as you would if you had private Guests visiting. I couldn't risk a further key loss.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pamela925  As there is no reason for a guest to intentionally break a key, I'd just chalk this up to normal wear and tear replacement and not seek any compensation from the guest.

In this case, it was probably a matter of the guest trying to force it, as unfortunately many people don't understand that if something mechanical isn't working properly, forcing it will likely break something. But still, it was an accident.

Ian611
Level 4

Are you serious,Pamela has had a lot of hassle ,time/stress and cost get the lock replaced due to so some idiot that can’t use a key properly.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

All damages we have had were always unintentional. They happened because the guest was drunk, uncareful, tired, didn't think of what he/she is doing, was in a hurry.... or just wasn't very bright. Only two guests have told us about the damage and offered to pay, others tried to hide it or just didn't respond at all. So no, I am not so generous anymore and I do ask them to pay because I have to spend my time, effort, and stress to fix it before my new guest checks in and that's usually in just a few hours.

Ian611
Level 4

Pamela925.

I would claim for the broken key ,it must have taken some force to break a key.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Pamela925   In fifteen years of renting multiple properties, I have had guests break keys in the door locks several times.  I have always thought of broken keys as the cost of doing business, and have not charged the guest.  Most times, a good pair of needle nose pliers wielded by me or my spouse removes the broken off bit, and another key may then be used.  Sometimes I have had to call a locksmith.  NOTE:  All of my properties have more than one entry door and the secondary doors have a keyless code deadbolt.  If possible, change your keyed entry doors to mechanical or wireless keyless coded locks.  

@Lorna170 Yes, sometimes it's possible to extract the broken part from the lock yourself. Then it's just a matter of getting another key cut from your spare, which costs what, a few bucks?

I have 4 sets of keys for all my doors- one I carry with me in my bag, one stays in the house, one is hidden outside in case I lock myself out, and one is for guests (that set just has the key to their door, which has an outside entrance, and the key to the kitchen/living area, not my bedroom or my storeroom).

My locks are deadbolt types and can be easily changed out by undoing 6 screws, which is much cheaper than calling a locksmith. I had a housesitter who had a key get stuck in the lock (not her fault, she took excellent care of my house). She was a very capable gal, a home owner herself, and just went out and bought another lock and replaced it herself.