Benefits to listing on VRBO AND Airbnb?

Julianna34
Level 3
California, United States

Benefits to listing on VRBO AND Airbnb?

I understand the potential benefit of posting my listing on multiple sites in order to cast a larger net of potential guest bookings, but has anyone experienced a significant change in their bookings by creating an additional listing on VRBO?

Right now I only have my place available via Airbnb (for two night minimum) and Craigslist (listed for short term, temporary stays of one month minimum). This has been fine in the past but this spring I haven't had any bookings pan out. Partly I'm sure it's been the winter weather which has hit our area hard, but as the snow melts I'm really hoping to recoup some losses by keeping a full schedule, thus my thought of creating a VRBO profile. 

As a guest when I travel I don't like the VRBO interface, but I'm sure theres a section of the population who would use it. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

8 Replies 8
Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Julianna34 
I use Airbnb, VRBO and booking.com and receive reservations through all three.

@Bob297 ditto. Used to be I received the vast majority of reservations through Airbnb, but that is gradually shifting.

Julianna34
Level 3

Ah, I had never thought of using booking.com. I suppose in the past I've always used that exclusively to search for hotel stays, but I do recall seeing more and more private listings on there. 

What's your advice for coordinating calendars between multiple listings? Is there a plugin or way for multiple booking calendars to work together or do you block dates manually as they come in?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The best to look at this is to do some market research to understand where guests wanting to stay in your location in your type of listing look for accomodation.

You are right not everyone wants to use every online channel to look for accomodation for example I would never look for accomodation on Craig's List as there are some many scammers on there @Julianna34 

Julianna34
Level 3

Thank you for the feedback! I'm not sure how to discover what channels people are utilizing most to book for my area. Do you have any advice on how to find that kind of information or what you've done to learn more?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Julianna34   I have been successfully listing on multiple platforms for more than 20 years.  I started with VRBO (when it was not named that) and VRBO was 85% of my bookings along with direct marketing through my own website.  I have only used AirBnB for the past few years.  I do not use Booking.com at all.

In 2021 going into 2022 AirBnB was 60% of my bookings.  In late 2022 into 2023 VRBO is 70% of my bookings.  With the summer revamp of AirBnB my AirBnB bookings dried up and have yet to recover, mostly because VRBO bookings have taken over availability.

My guest demographic is 30-60 years old, no children (or grown children), multiple pets, interested in hiking, unique restaurants, brewery tours and antiques.   The VRBO guests are on the older side whereas the AirBnB guests are far younger and less communicative.

As an aside, I would never offer my property on Craigs list, nor would I rent a property that was on Craigs list for my vacation.  

Julianna34
Level 3

Wow! This has been such great insight- I really appreciate it! It sounds like VRBO captures a slightly older audience, which might be useful for me. 

As for Craigslist, some people don’t like it, other people still use it. I’ve found it incredibly useful for renting to locals in my area who want to stay for 1-3 months for whatever reason- home renovations, storm damage etc. They are looking for short term housing solutions without the tax and fees attached to Airbnb and similar services. I have similarly rented gorgeous apartments and homes through Craigslist- I think when people dismiss it altogether they miss out on a big opportunity there!

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Airbnb bookings have really dried up,  I am getting most of my bookings from VRBO right now