Breakage-- how do you handle it?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Breakage-- how do you handle it?

Do you have a breakage policy? if a guest admits to breaking something in your listing, do you have a certain cost under which you let it go vs request payment?

How do you approach breakage with a guest who has not admitted it up front? How often do you have to replace certain breakable items (glasses/dishware for example?)

18 Replies 18
Grant254
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Hi All,

I'm working on. project where I make it easy for the guest to replace the broken / damaged items.

Is this a service that would help you Airbnb owners? I'd love to get some feedback.

Grant

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Hello All, I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I do have a breakage question. I am curious to know what other hosts would do in this situation. 

I have hand painted ceramic handles on my kitchen cabinets and I found one of them broken sitting on the counter after the guests checked out. Honestly, I don't know how someone breaks cabinet handles but they did. 

This could have been a big problem but the local artisan who painted them for me had given me 3 extras just in case, so I can put a new one in there, but what bugs me really is that they didn't say a word. 

They messaged me constantly because they entered the code wrong and couldn't find the extra tp which was in the vanity etc. but they did not say a word about my hand painted cabinet handles. 

They also broke a shelf in the fridge and did not say boo. 

I normally let go of broken wine glasses and plates etc. Did not even mention when some quests disappeared with one towel from a set, so I get shrinkage, but is this something you would mention or would you let it go? IMG_2479.jpgIMG_2481.jpg

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Nur785 It's sad to see that such a beautiful cabinet handle broke, though at the same time it plays in nicely with the title of this thread "how do you handle it"!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

You are right! 🙂 I didn't even notice that.