Call center support scam

Jason820
Level 2
Little Rock, AR

Call center support scam

I am starting to get calls from someone claiming to be an Airbnb support representative. They usually have a thick accent. When I ask them to communicate with me via the Airbnb app or via Email, which is how I normally communicate with Airbnb support representatives, they hang up. They have tried to send me a SMS message to confirm my account. But if they are calling me from Airbnb they should already have my account information. I think this is a scam to gain access to my Airbnb account with the intention of changing my payout information to a different bank account. One that the scammers have access to. 

2 Replies 2
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Jason820. I had this happen to me several months ago. It all sounded so legitimate, including the Airbnb phone number that showed on my caller ID  and I did almost give them information that they surely would have known. Luckily I hung up before any damage was done.
Just be careful and don’t give them any access to your account as they should already have that if they are truly Airbnb.

I did post about it in the forum and I did call Airbnb to report. I never heard back about it. 

Karen
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Jason820 👋

Thank you for sharing that with us. It's fantastic you're so vigilant!

I found an Airbnb article about avoiding fraud, scams, and abuse that provides advice and support. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines