Can you send a special offer to former guests without them making a request?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Can you send a special offer to former guests without them making a request?

I think the answer is no, but just seeing if anyone knows if this is an option? I've sent special offers before, but the guest requested the date(s) first. In this case, a former guest just sent me a message in the old message thread about future dates, but I don't see the option in my inbox.

8 Replies 8
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

And just to add, the guest is saying she is not given the option to "Request" to book, only IB.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Suzanne302 I haven't done this yet but the guest can send an inquiry for selected dates and you should see the option for a special offer. I'm hoping this works as I've told one guest to message me for discount for trip related issue on one of her stays that was out of my control. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Suzanne302 

No, as far as I know, you cannot. If you have instant book turned on and the guest can instantly book (per your requirements) then the guest's only option is to instant book. They can send you an inquiry though, as John mentioned, and you can send a special offer from there. 

Another option: you can tell the guest to book it as is. Then you can immediately (or take your time) go to "Change Reservation" and update the price. This will send the guest a new confirmed price once they approve it. I do this all the time and it is very simple. But I do know that a lot of hosts want the ability to initiate a "special offer" to past guests.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emilia42 

There is a certain risk in what you suggest but I am going to have another go with CS and see if I can get a positive answer to it.

Cheers.........Rob

@Robin4 The amount isn't deducted from your next payout. Whatever the amount of the reservation is the amount that you (the host) will be paid one day-ish after check-in. You get no funds (or fewer funds) before the reservation is to take place. I have done this dozens of times. It works exactly how it should. The host adjusts the reservation total, the guest accepts, and the host gets paid the reservation total one day after check-in. It's really that simple.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emilia42 

Yeah I jumped the gun a bit there Emilia but there are moves a foot at the moment to get that Send Special Offer box back into the message stream for all enquiries, both new and returns.

Cheers........Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Suzanne302 

Suzanne, I started a thread on this exact topic a month ago and the short answer to your post is, NO, it is not possible to send a past guest a special offer.

When a past guest sends you an enquiry it automatically attaches itself to the past message stream with that guest and, as that previous stay has completed, there is no option to send any sort of offer.

I have had this out with CS because it has been a thorn in my side for some time now, as we do get a few guests who wish to return, and I do like to reward them for their loyalty with a cheaper nightly rate.

I have worked out a solution now in that I get them to book for one night less than their required stay length and give them that additional night for free, block my calendar, it's quick and easy and nobody (except Airbnb) gets caught......they just miss out on a one night service fee! 

It did come up again recently because I had a guest who has stayed here before on two occasions and this time wanted his month long booking at a special negotiated nightly rate to go through Airbnb so he could claim the accommodation cost as a work related expense. His employer required an ABN (Australian Business Number) for it to be regarded as a legitimate work expense, and being retired and not 'working' full-time, I no longer have an ABN. Official Airbnb reservation details however would have sufficed for his employer.

The only scenario CS could offer me was to reduce the listing amount on the dates that he wanted to book and hope that nobody else jumped in and grabbed a portion of that month before he completed his booking check-out payment.

Suzanne, I am now in discussions with the development team to try and do something about this. A new enquiry should always be treated as just that........a new enquiry regardless of whether the guest has been before or not!

My pitch to them is, an enquiry should automatically trigger that 'Send Special Offer' box, it doesn't matter if the enquiry does not relate to a stay, but it should be there for the times that it does.

I am hopeful we will get somewhere here because Airbnb hate losing money, and I am afraid this one month booking slipped through their fingers because they simply did not offer a viable solution! 

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 

Thanks for doing the hard work that benefits all hosts!