Card being charged for a reservation I didn't book.

Answered!
Aamir3
Level 2
Germany

Card being charged for a reservation I didn't book.

Hi,

Today I was checking my credit card statement and saw that my card has been recently charged for a AirBnB trip I didn't book. I could not find a helpline number or email to write to AirBnB support directly.

Can somebody please direct my query to AirBnB Support to look at and contact me immediately? Following are the transaction details, I could see a booking id there to start the investigation.

Amount -1.437,12 EUR
Posting text 
AIRBNB * [Personal information hidden]

Many thanks,
Aamir
1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Aamir3,

Sorry to hear that that happened to you.

You should change the login password on your Airbnb account, contact the bank that issued your card and contact Airbnb customer service.

You can contact Airbnb customer service by phone, Twitter or Facebook as described here https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us#/

and here Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide

Hope it all works out OK for you.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

81 Replies 81

We had three charges against our card  from "Airbnb" (which is now cancelled) for a booking we already paid for in 2023; Airbnb  has been useless and again asked if a family member used the card - how would that be if Airbnb was charging the three amounts on my card which was a new card freshly issued after we had already experienced other fraud on the prior card.  From reading all of this, Airbnb is not secure and you should not book on their sites, or if you have to, never pay with a credit card that has ability to be charged for additional amounts.  Talk to you bank about how to pay in a more secure manner, and put a hold on your card so that the bank has to call or contact you if a charge is over a smaller amount, like $75, and then you are notified and can decline.  We have gone through four credit cards, VISA and AM EX in the last three weeks, with fraud, with Airbnb being the last one.  Be careful, lots of desperate people out there.  $899 seems to be a popular number, charged on both of those cards, but a lot more also.

Linzey0
Level 2
Houston, TX

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Linzey0 ,

I understand the frustration you are going through. Although I will be raising your concern to the related team, can you please elaborate if this happened after any recent stay at Airbnb? 

Have you previously managed to get a hold of Airbnb Customer Support through any contact channels? 

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I have a charge on my card that is not associated with any stay I booked. The charges aren't associated with any of my stays. I have no idea what the charge is as it's not on my account. My card info was stolen. I can only imagine they got it from airbnb's website bc I recently added it to my account.

I have reached out to the support team through airbnb. However speaking to someone that can actually help doesn't seem to be possible for this situation. 

It seems someone stole my info through airbnb's app. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Linzey0 ,

Thanks for elaborating on your concern and providing the necessary info.

I have redirected your concern to the related team and look into this.

I hope you get to hear from the Support soon!

-----

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Linzey0 ,

I wanted to come back and let you know that the team is actively looking into your case, and they will get back to you soon.

-----

Bhumika perhaps you can help us!  Exactly our position.  Fraudulent charge from Airbnb last friday for $1, 855. When I contacted Airbnb they sent the same pro forma emails saying that they were unable to refund me because it "could have been a family member or close friend that used my card".  But they did not provide me with any other info as to who charged my card etc. Absolutely ridiculous.  No one one has access to any of my personal info. I contacted my bank directly and they are sending me a new card and looking into the matter. However Airbnb gave ZERO help and will not cancel the booking or refund the charges.  Worse if the person who has accessed my card (fraud) does indeed enter a hosts home how truly terrible.  Enormous safety issue that could simple be solved by cancelling the booking.  Our 'friend' aka a criminal committing fraud can re-book.  After nine years of having an account with Airbnb we will be closing our account asap.  Deeply disappointing and frustrating.  I have emailed entire Airbnb executive team.  If anyone has more contact details please share. @Brian Chesky please help!

Hi Rachel2615,

I’m in exactly the same boat. Fraudulent charge from Airbnb. First line support accuses me of lying about allowing a friend to use my card. They won’t disclose any transaction details. Etc.  

I’ve disputed it with my bank but it’s very disappointing that Airbnb is abetting criminals. 

Did you every get any help?

—Erik

@Linzey0 Dispute this with your bank and get them to change your card ASAP.

I had a fraudulent charge from Airbnb on 3/11/23 for the amount of $781.16. The reference # next to the charge is ***. I have not booked a trip on Airbnb since June of '22, nor has any of my family. The trip itself does not appear on "My Trips" on my Airbnb account,  and there are no other fraudulent charges on my Visa card, so clearly this is a security issue with Airbnb.  I have reported the charge to Visa, my card is locked and they are sending me a new card. Please look into this on your end, Airbnb! Thank you.

**[Reservation number hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

@Laura5992 this is a community centre not Airbnb. Anyway your bank will sort it out.

Yep, I know that... but Bhukima's responses seemed to indicate that she had some sort of direct line of communication with Airbnb corporate, so I thought I'd respond specifically to her in the event she could relay my issue. The other comments in this community (and others) make very clear that Airbnb is not at all helpful nor seems to care about its security weaknesses and is, therefore, difficult to reach. So, I thought Bhukima could help.

And, yep... my bank is doing its thing as well.

Thanks.

Hi,

Did this ever get resolved? in in the same boat. Fraudulent charge.  Customer Support accuses me of sharing my card with others but won’t say who or for what. 

Reading this thread it’s clear Airbnb has a problem with this fraud scenario. There are easy technical solutions to this, but it seems like they don’t care and are just leaving it to the banks to absorb the costs. 

Erik

Hi Laura. I too was recently had a  fraudulent charge from airbnb for $807. When I contacted them and they looked into it.  I got an email the next day saying that they were unable to refund me because it "could have been a family member or close friend that used my card" and I needed to contact that person directly. But they did not provide me with any other info as to who charged my card. Absolutely ridiculous reply from them as they basically called me a liar. Not one person has access to any of my personal info. I contacted my bank directly and they are sending me a new card and looking into the matter. Airbnb was zero help and blamed me for the charges. 

@LeAnne283 The last time this was brought to the forum the poster discovered they had put their credit card onto a friends booking in the past and had never removed it. As a result they were found liable for the charge by the bank (and presumably lost a friend at the same time)