Change of Super Host Status Due to Guest Cancellations

Answered!

Change of Super Host Status Due to Guest Cancellations

I can't believe I have been down graded from a Super Host status to regular Host - due to GUESTS cancelling (mostly COVID and travel issues). I have not declined or cancelled any booking requests for 2 years. And now I am downgraded because guests have cancelled.  This is unfair.  I've sent Airbnb 2 messages, stating unfair benchmark rating to include guest cancellations.  No action take by Airbnb, just that its their standard.  This just DOES NOT makes sense.

I can't seem to get in touch with a person on the phone. Left messages and sent in call back request.

Anyone else dealing with this same issue? And if so, what was the outcome?

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Ah, okay. That makes more sense.

@Christine3251  Yep, never accept a cancellation request from a guest because Airbnb will effectively treat it like YOU cancelled. Always decline it and tell the guest they need to cancel from their own end (with whatever cancellation penalties apply, if any). You can always then offer them an additional refund if you so choose.

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Christine3251 Guest cancellations don't count against a host, unless a host accepts a 'guest requests to cancel' message. Did you do that? 

Geez. I'm not sure. I read the notice, but didn't think I accepted it, except when we choose not to retain any cancellation fee - which we have always agreed to (not take the fee).

Thank you Colleen for your feedback.  Airbnb has not advised me of this.

So does a Super Host just ignore cancellation request emails then? To avoid being penalized?

@Christine3251  Yes.  The guest requests cancellation' is a sneaky trick used against hosts.  If a guest wants to cancel, they can cancel and the cancellation policy applies.  If you ever get any 'guest wants to cancel' do you accept type of message.  Always click no.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Ah, okay. That makes more sense.

@Christine3251  Yep, never accept a cancellation request from a guest because Airbnb will effectively treat it like YOU cancelled. Always decline it and tell the guest they need to cancel from their own end (with whatever cancellation penalties apply, if any). You can always then offer them an additional refund if you so choose.

Mark.  Thank you for that and reconfirming Colleen's comment.  I will be very careful from now on. Yet still feel, especially after contacting Airbnb few times, they would have advised me that was the issue.  But nope. Nada.  I'm still waiting form them to contact me.......grrh.

Thank you all. More help from Community, than Airbnb Support.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christine3251 

That's why this community centre can be so useful. Airbnb CS are not always the easiest to get answers from (a lot of the reps are now poorly trained, out sourced, call centre staff who haven't got the first clue of Airbnb policy, don't understand what you are asking or just try to stall rather than reply). I am not sure what I would have done without it.

@Christine3251 It is always within the guest’s power to cancel a stay. There is no need for host intervention. You can decline and reply saying “Go ahead and cancel from within your trips dashboard. I cannot cancel for you.”

Sorry you got tripped up by this.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

I think that what has probably happened here is that @Christine3251 has lost Superhost status because the minimum number/nights stay has been reintroduced since the last assessment. If she had so many guests cancelled, maybe she didn't have enough stays. That's obviously not her fault as she was willing to host those guests but just didn't get the opportunity to...

I'm just guessing of course.

Hi Huma, actually the # of stays is still good. Always seem to get cancelations filled back up.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christine3251 

I think we are all posting at the same time. Yes, I saw that. I think @Mark116 's explanation seems the most likely.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Actually, I take that back. Just looked at @Christine3251 's profile and she seems to have had enough stays to qualify.

Thank you everyone! Greatly appreciate the feedback.  Karma....as finally got in touch with an Airbnb rep who is looking into changing my status back to Super Host.

Cheers!

Christine, my superhero status was also removed due to one guest canceling. After a lengthy discussion with the Airbnb ambassador, she indicated that this one cancellation which the guest made prior to his requested reservation, put me over the 1% cancellation rate despite having a busy last three months with reservations. I have asked for a supervisor to contact me and if it is not resolved I will be leaving Airbnb and using another popular platform after seven years mostly consistent super host status. Punishing the super host for a guest, who within his rights, cancels before his reservation, makes no sense.