Charging late checkout fee

Sarah3595
Level 3
Bideford, United Kingdom

Charging late checkout fee

I am new to hosting.

I’m getting some requests for check out. 

Does anyone charge extra for late check out and if so how do you go about requesting the additional cost though Airbnb from the guest after they have booked. 

S McGeough
4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah3595 we don't charge for late check out (or early check in) but we only offer it if there is no booking coming later that day or staying the night before. I think the goodwill generated is worth more than a few extra £s.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I get request here and there for late checkout and early check in. If I am able to accommodate it, I do so free of charge. As @Mike-And-Jane0 said,  being accommodating and nice to your guest for a relatively small requests is worth more then the minimal extra amount of funds. 

I did have a guest once ask (In advance) to check out at 9pm,  as he had a late flight. At that point I did tell him he would need to book another night, as he was rendering that night un-bookable due to the late departure time. 

If you do indeed wish to move forward with fees based upon later check outs your best bet would be to establish the rates beforehand and post it somewhere so the guest is well aware. You would then need to request the extra fee through the airbnb platform. The guest would accept the extra charge and be billed as they normally would, with the funds being dispersed to you after. 

David7362
Level 2
Springwood, Australia

I also get occasional requests for early check-in or late check-out and generally accommodate them without any issue.  I changed the check-in time from 3pm to 2pm some time ago after multiple requests for early check-in.  My check-out time is 11am, but I have a note in my listing that I will consider late check-out until 6pm if guests are checking in later in the day (the aim of this is to facilitate people who want to come for the weekend after work on Friday).

I have just had a booking when the guest states that they will be arriving at 11am (not asks, but simply states they will be coming early), and then requests a late check-out as well (because the day of check-out is his birthday).

I have drafted (not yet sent) a reply stating that I can accommodate check-in at 1pm, and check-out at 1pm, but that any earlier check-in or later check-out would be subject to a fee. 

Just wondering if anybody has any advice or comments regarding this.  It seems to me that the guest is asking for quite a lot (a check-in earlier would actually be quite inconvenient for me due to the way I normally prepare the house for guests), the late checkout not so inconvenient.

Thanks for any advice ...

David

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@David7362 My immediate thought is that if you can change to an earlier check in time for a fee then you could do so for nothing in the same way that you can move to 1pm. Perhaps add that you would need $XX to enable the cleaning to be done faster.