City of Portland Minimum Stay rule change

Bryn13
Level 2
Portland, OR

City of Portland Minimum Stay rule change

Hi. I have a listing in Portland, OR that has been on the app for 7 years as a 2-night minimum. Suddenly in the last few weeks, the app has set it to a 30-night minimum.  When I called Support, they said it's due to a law change by the City of Portland.  I received no notice of this from either Airbnb, nor the City.  My calls to the City have so far not been returned.  I am losing bookings because of this and am beyond frustrated.  Does anyone in Portland have any insight they can pass on to me?

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Bryn13 Does the link below help? I am guessing that without a licence you have to rent for 30 days+

https://www.steadily.com/blog/airbnb-short-term-rental-laws-regulations-portland#:~:text=Establishin....

Thanks for the link.  That's the odd thing - I AM licensed - have been for 7 years.  Just can't figure out why it would suddenly change without notice.  I'm all for jumping through hoops - it's Portland after all - but I need to know which hoop!!!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Bryn13 , seems like Mike has shared a useful link. Have you heard back from the City, since you mentioned you were also trying to get in touch with them? What did they say? 

I'm also reaching out to Hosts from Portland in the Community, if they have more information and advice for you on the recent rules : @Nebiat0 @Alexandra85 @Katrina367 @Sorcha3 .

It would be a good idea to ask this question in the Local Host Clubs as well to see if local Hosts have any recommendations : Portland Area Airbnb Host Community 

Do keep us posted incase you've already managed to find more information to share with the Community! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I don't live in Portland, but here is a suggestion. @Bryn13 

Check to see if your STR license as listed on Airbnb has expired? 

Hi @Bryn13 

Don't live in Portland either...I searched the City of Portland STR Registry and didn't see your STR number listed? Maybe I missed it? Do you have to renew it every year? @Zheng49 mentions to check and see if it is current? I'm assuming you are a Type A property according to the City of Portland since you have a Guest Suite?

@Joan2709 

Good catch.

I also tried searching for the application number in City of Portland's STR registry and couldn't find it.

I suppose this may explain why TC's listing only accepts long-term rentals now.