Collecting Fresno City Transient Occupancy Tax

Laurie677
Level 1
Fresno, CA

Collecting Fresno City Transient Occupancy Tax

I operate an Airbnb out of my home and live in Fresno.  Recently I was informed by Fresno City that I needed to obtain a zone clearance and a short term rental permit, and of course a business tax certificate.  After acquiring these documents I now must pay “occupancy tax”.

I would like to know if any Fresno Airbnbs are collecting these taxes and if so how?  I have checked with Airbnb and they do not collaborate with the local government in Fresno as they do with numerous other counties in California.

Is there anyone out here in Fresno collecting occupancy tax from their guests?

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

6 Replies 6
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Laurie677 ,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center!

Did you manage to find any information about this? If so, would you mind sharing any suggestions for fellow Community members in case they run into a similar query?

If not, you can also take a look at
Local Host Clubs near you to connect with local hosts, who would be able to help you with more area-specific tax information.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi! 

I am still trying to figure this situation out.  I never heard back from the other user either.

Any information on this?

Thanks!

As a medium for the operation of these short term rentals, it is apparent that your office does not provide the adequate or even partial direction for compliance. 

While I am sure your contract is saturated with legal jargon to protect you from liability, your oversight in the field tends to lend itself to insight and liability in this area. 

As a service to your clients in this area, perhaps you can provide a link to their local Transient Occupancy Tax ordinances for their review. This will help aleve the panic that I see in YOUR customers. 

Kevin2985
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Hello!

I have my listing in Fresno as wee and I am now facing the same situation.  Did you find out  how to list the TOT on you listing in the fees section?

Any guidance on this would be great!

Thanks!

Be sure to add the amount to the bill for the client as this is required per the TOT ordinance. Be sure to remit it timely or you can pay penalties up to 20% plus interest and have your property liened for non-payment. 

If you set it up with AirBnB then they will, however, they are not required to. You are the "hotel operartor," per Fresno City Transient Occupancy Tax ordinance definitions, thus you are required to collect these from the occupant and remit them to the city. 

If your property is in a location that is not designated for Short Term Rentals (STR) by the City, then you may be operating illegally and subject to other fines. Further, the development that built your property may have long standing restrictions, which the City is aware of, which also may bar your operation of an STR.