Collecting fees from Guests

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Collecting fees from Guests

I've posted some of the sordid details in another posting -the saga continues.

My question to you all. Have you been able to get Airbnb to reimburse you for fees detailed in your House Rules?

Three unauthorized guests on the property - new lock/keys.

Our house rules call for $100 per unauthorized guest. We billed $300.  

Airbnb customer support (I use the term lightly.) keep saying they can only reimburse for damages.

We have, in the past, been reimbursed for the fee for a guest smoking, etc.  If a Host has house rules, it shouldn't be up to the guest whether they pay for them or not!

10 Replies 10
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Cherie71 abb has absolutely never believed in “fines” no matter how they’re listed in your listing or rules. Actual money you spent, ie extra cleaning or new locks yes. Penalty fees, no

I've gotten them paid before.  I have it listed in the House Rules that no guests, other than those named on the reservation are allowed on the property. A fee of $100 per unauthorized guest, per occurrence, and immediate expulsion from the property.  An 'extra guest' fee would be similar.

I was willing to accept the $300 fee just to get this nightmare over with Airbnb 

support - and said so in my messages to the guest and Airbnb support - but now that the guest refuses to pay the unauthorized guest fee, I've made the claim for changing the locks/keys because the guest gave the keys/code to the unauthorized guest and did not return them to me.

On top of everything, this was a third-party reservation which Airbnb just wants to ignore.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Cherie71 why did you need a new lock/keys - presumably not because of the extra guests.

Airbnb don't collect fines - many hosts still state them in their listings to frighten guests but they are not usually (ever?) imposed.

Yes, because of the unauthorized guests.  The guest (who wasn't the person making the reservation) - gave the keys and the lock codes out to the other people - so we changed the locks and had to re-key the master to the apartment/gate.

As I've said before, I have been reimbursed for unauthorized guests before - as well as a 'fee' for finding someone smoking on the property, etc.  

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Airbnb will not help you collect punitive damages. I have collected fees in the past but only because they reflected costs associated with the offence. The only exception is late check out. They would collect based on a certain formula even if you do not have to pay extra to cleaners or had to refund the next guest. You are doing this for profit though, so is not a fee if you think about it. 

I recommend one of two things or a combination:

1. have a per person fee rather than an unauthorized person fee if you are willing to host more people. I personally do not believe in charging per person because it leads to negative interactions so I just came up with a number I am happy with per night and it balances out. However many hosts do collect it. In that case, it is not a fee but rather a legitimate charge

2. because I do not charge per person but do not want my house over capacity, I have a contract with a local security company. My rules state that I would call them if there are unauthorized guests. My main goal is to prevent extra people from coming in. If they do- I call the security company and it is now an expense and not a fee.

Bottom line- if you are willing to have the extra people, either let it go or charge per person. If you do not want extra people- remove them from your property.

Having said that, it sounds like a very annoying situation for you right now.

I do have a per-person fee on the listing. The apartment price is $ for up to two people, any guest after that is $100 per person.  In addition, I have an unauthorized guest policy with a fee for each unauthorized guest.

I was NOT willing to have additional people - especially children!

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Cherie71 Others have already addressed this well enough already. 

Bottom line: Damages can be reimbursed if proven through.  "Fines" will get you nowhere.

However, if Code Enforcement came around and levied your property a $1K citation, you will get help covering that.  

On the other hand, $300 because you saw unannounced guests on your RING camera?  You're SOL, unfortunately.  

I think the confusion - is 'FINE' and 'FEE'.

The House Rule is a FEE for each unauthorized guest and/or each guest over 2 people as a regular FEE.

"Guests, not listed on the reservation, are not allowed on/in property for any reason. Not even for a minute or a quick peek and will result in a fee of $100.00 per non-registered guest per violation. Any violation will require the entire party to check out immediately with no refunds."

@Cherie71  Yes, you could get abb to perhaps add the additional guest FEE, IF it was listed in your pricing structure. Ie they book for 1, but bring 3, then yes you can update the fees accordingly to be whatever it should have been for 3 guests. 
BUT if your listing normally maxes out at say 3 and they bring 5 then there is no extra guest fee available and adding $100pp extra is indeed a fine. You can’t in the same breath call it a violation, say they can be kicked out and then also say ‘or pay this extra $$ to stay’

Airbnb gave us the money.