Concern for safety on misleading “Guest Favourite” badge/Icon for guests and hosts.

Lyn-and-Gavin0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

Concern for safety on misleading “Guest Favourite” badge/Icon for guests and hosts.

You may have seen just last week in the press, the conviction in London, UK of an airbnb guest who raped a host in Croydon, on her very first hosting experience.  This combined with other press reports of deaths of airbnb guests in fires, Carbon Monoxide deaths in double figures, begs the question, would now be the ideal time for Airbnb to enhance their security for both guests and hosts before the UK/London moves towards legislation or mandatory registration of airbnbs?

The New badge (strapline – One of the most loved homes on airbnb based on ratings, reviews and reliability) was introduced in October/November 23.  

Whilst I understand the need to promote new properties as we all have to start somewhere.  Are just a handful of recent 5*reviews a good barometer of “most loved homes based on ratings, reviews and reliability?

This is in my opinion is giving a false sense of security to guests.

The current algorithm is promoting these New Guest Favourite hosts based on just a couple of recent 5 star reviews above established hosts.   We have all encountered hosts who got their friends to book their rooms, reimburse said friends and get them to write 5 star reviews when they set up their listings.

Whilst it seems hosts who achieved the previous badge of Superhost* are no longer featuring in the search function.  It seems the Superhost search button has now been removed and replaced with Guest Favourite as the only search button. It would appear that this new selection criteria has been created to encourage all guests to select, as it implies to provide an additional sense of security. Apparently Guest Favourites have a 4.92 rating or above (however, I am sure my recent searches uncovered places with less ratings) the other barometer is a 1% host cancellation rate.  All very attainable when you have just a few 5 star reviews.

Airbnb have also removed some of the hosts’ other safety features recently on the Instant book function which could enhance host risks.

Since November my enquiries and bookings have dropped off a cliff, I used to run at 95-100% occupancy with just a few gaps (mainly due to my own minimum night stay policy).  I also haven’t had a Four Star review since about 2018.  My performance on air bnb was consistent.  I did all the things they recommend to keep the algorithm working. Luckily I had some bookings that were made prior to the introduction of the new badge that saw me through for a few weeks.  

As a result of the massive decline and daily watching my number of views and wish list additions drop like a stone, In January, I started researching other hosts activity and I checked out if similar well established hosts had lots of availability and very few recent reviews.  I was initially reassured yay……. It seemed we were all in the same boat as they too had little or few guests and had hardly any recent reviews so not many recent bookings, it must be an economic downturn or a blip in the system, or so I thought.  We all saw the rates dropping and reacted accordingly, I dropped mine too (15-20%), I also reduced my minimum night stay to 2 nights in the hope it would pick up.

However prompted by other established hosts postings on social media, I like many others, started doing our own research and many of us are coming up with same results/conclusions.  

Many established hosts have contacted customer support about the downturn, however, in most cases your support team seem unaware of the downturn.  Who is measuring hosts leaving the platform or resorting to long term Spareroom guests to fill their calendars?

Airbnb: your core established hosts are suffering with this change in strategy.  They will start leaving in droves and where will this leave airbnb when mandatory registration is introduced and *fire/electrical/guests security is paramount?

It seems to me that airbnb are neglecting the people who helped build your business.

You have not replaced the Global Head of Hosting (essentially the hosts spokesperson), you are under investor pressure to show growth and one of those strategies includes hosts supply……. But at what cost? Surely safety, and established reliability are key.

A bit about me:

I am in my twilight years before retirement and I have been hosting two spare rooms in my home over the last 10 years.  It is my only form of income before my pension kicks in.   So I am established hosts with almost 700 reviews, 10 years of hosting, one room had a 4.98 rating with almost 370 reviews and the other room has a 4.96 rating with 312 reviews.  10 years a superhost with 0 cancellation rate over all those years, a 100% response rate and over 1250 guests.  I also achieved the Guest Favourite Badge.  As a previous senior director in the hotel industry I have always had guest safety at heart.  Established hosts like myself invested to meet the new fire regulations which came into force in UK in October 23.  We invested in fire risk assessments, hard wired fire or heat alarms, new door locks, night lights and torches, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide alarms etc. etc.  Having been in hospitality, I had always wanted my own hotel but couldn’t afford it – but, for me, being an air bnb host was genuinely the next best thing.  I loved it.  We own our home, I declare the income and pay the taxes.  I am not a property developer, multi listing host or a rent to rent host, I believe I fit your initial core sharing economy values.  I am not social media Savvy – just joined X/twitter yesterday and this is my first attempt at posting on Threads and Instagram too.  If you can help me get this to the attention of the senior execs at air bnb please

12 Replies 12
Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Ciao @Lyn-and-Gavin0 ,

just to let you know that I also suffered from a drop in views after the last Winter Release and I agree with you that Airbnb should focus more on experienced hosts who otherwise will migrate to other platforms ...

Andrea

Ciao @Andrea6232

Maybe I am stupid but I am very Loyal…..I don’t want to leave Airbnb.  I liked ABB initial ethos…up until recently I ran at 95 percent occupancy…….... why leave and go through the hassle?   I also like  having a bit of control - house rules etc.  flexibility and the other platforms don’t seem to offer that.  I also think that the GF badge needs to have some safety parameters - like a certain number of reviews before they get badge.  If things don’t pick up…. Then I will leave and do long term lets instead.  Hope things pick up for you 🤞

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lyn-and-Gavin0

Your first sentence is why some experienced Hosts who live on their own will not put a photo of themselves online, or may use an Alias that others know about on a need to know basis, e.g witness protection, domestic or other violence and on the receiving end of crime and trying to maintain some form of normality in one's life.

There are a number of users in here who have commented on the change from Common sense Registration and use of this platform to one of considerable personal information and Government documents been uploaded - those demands to upload such information come with Risks/  'consequences'.

There are also users of ABB who may be known by more than one name purely because of Personal Safety reasons and to ensure they retain their own fundamental rights of feeling safe in their own home and surroundings, this is very important for those who live in smaller locations and countries where people are likely to know each other.

If you read how many Hosts and users of Airbnb have been effectively blocked or redirected from Entire palaces in recent times from using ABB, including through the use of there 'Party Ban' algorithms it is no surprise Hosts have had a serious decline in reservations, notably holiday weekends.

They have shoot themselves in the foot with the blanket approach and also damaged ABB Reputation and hurt potential future consumers of ABB.

ABB used to and still does have a very good message system for Private Messages for Hosts and Guests to communicate through prior to making Reservations however we understand they have certain words and algorithms that prevent responsible people 18-25 year olds and new users from booking palaces within a 50 mile/ 80 kilometer radius.

Have you explored those avenues of your venture and potential loss of custom?

I am live in host,  so I have not experienced Party bookers.   I have also not experienced the blocking of people booking from same area but then again I live in London so lots of hosts and normally high demand.  I often get people who are refurbishing their homes and need a place nearby to stay etc.

Hi Helen 

I posted a reply but cannot see it here - hope you got it.  Best Lyn

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen427 

I'm a long term homeshare host and know at least 40 other single female homeshare hosts. None of us hide behind an alias or put up false profile photos (like yours).

Although you can never 100% protect yourself as a single female host, I believe the fact I vet all guests to ensure they are a good fit for my property has meant I haven't had any guests in over 300 sets of guests and nine years of hosting that have made me feel uncomfortable. Nor have the other 40 single female hosts that I know.

Just wanted to put another perspective out there from someone who is actually a homeshare hosts.

I would say I was really disappointed when Airbnb suddenly dropped the ability of hosts to only accept bookings from guests who had provided photo ID. I do think this is a backward step in helping protect hosts.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

False Profile??

That's a serious allegation you are making @Helen3 and conjecture on your part.

We have been a Host for over 6 years with Airbnb thanks and had many years experience as a Homestay Host, indeed we were reading through some of those guests in our home letters and words of appreciation recently when sorting through some of our belongings.

The Lily in our profile, together with our listing, which has significant meaning to us in our lives, has also recently also flowered with it's delightful fragrance in our New Zealand summer and is still very much a part of our lives.

None of us has the right to make assumptions or judgements about anyone's lives as none of us has walked in another's shoes/ feet or footsteps.

All the best and it's great you have the support networks you do because others may not.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Clearly I didn't say you had a false profile. I said you have a false profile photo @Helen427 

You have a photo of a flower and Airbnb say  hosts should upload a photo of themselves. 

Helen

You are very lucky not to have the horrific experience of finding after checkout a 20” image drawn by a guest of sexually graphic graffiti on the back of the trash can, or airbnb banning a guest mid stay’ or the very frightening experience of being stalked  on social media by a former guest… 

safety for all hosts is a priority…perhaps you can share tools you and group use to vet guests… as even with Cori check, so many crimes are unreported. Txs for info in advance. Kindness to u.

@Helen427 

@Lyn-and-Gavin0 …txs for article 411

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Lyn-and-Gavin0 

This is awful I haven't seen it could you link to the articles you are referring to in the media.  Can you share links?

The issue with bookings is not necessarily because of anything Airbnb is doing,   but because many popular tourist markets in the UK including London are now massively oversaturated markets which are facing falling demand due to the cost of living crisis.

I wouldn't advise that dropping your rates is the best strategy. If you want to get more bookings focus on your marketing. Make sure you are marketing on all relevant STR platforms, look at wider marketing such as  advertising on the London Tourist Board  website and invest in setting up direct booking channels and an advertising strategy to target guests you've identified as your target market.

Here’s link Helen

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/17/new-airbnb-host-raped-first-guest-court-told/

But pretty much every newspaper covered it….. just google it.

i only have 2 rooms,  I am not very savvy digitally.  Do you know someone you can recommend?

Well said about the guest favorite badge. I have noticed similar issues with my property.

I have sent the numbers to Airbnb and repeatedly asked them to review to no avail.

The solution each time is to thank me for being a superhost and ask me to read their article on how to achieve the status even though I meet all the requirements. 

Lets hope if enough of us complain there will be a review of this very unfair new system.