Cost of energy winter 2022 - 2023

Cost of energy winter 2022 - 2023

Hi All

Due to the rising cost of electric and gas can anyone advise how they will deal with the extra cost for the winter months with their Airbnb.

Will you raise the nightly price over the winter months or possibly close the accommodation for that period.  I am not sure what the best

way forward is and welcome any advice.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sue1905 , there are already several discussions on the CC about this subject. Maybe do a search to find them. I responded to one earlier today!

Maria188
Level 8
Wells, United Kingdom

Hi, I have just contacted Airbnb to ask if we can add an energy supplement without Airbnb adding their 20% commission ( split between host and guest fees). The answer is, you can't. Airbnb stand to make a fortune if we put up our room rates/additional charges up to allow for the additional energy costs. In the UK, energy costs rise by 80% in October. Yes, you read that right - 80% and they are set to rise again in 2023. My business will not survive unless I charge more, but I think it is immoral for Airbnb to profit from this. Has anyone got any good ideas of how to get around this? thank you.

Maryann240
Level 1
Bradwell-on-Sea, United Kingdom

HI, that is a very good point regarding the already inflated commissions charged by Air BNB.

I am thinking to have no option but to close over the winter months - we have a log cabin air bnb and it can be rather chilly in the winter.

Air bnb should not be allowed to profit from this!

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey everyone @Maryann240 @Maria188 

Thank you for your comments on this. I know this is an older post already, but I wanted to let you know that we’ve recently started a topic regarding energy costs and we’re collecting tips on how to manage them. We’d love to get your input too, so please don’t hesitate and come share your experiences and advice!

You can find my post here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Has-your-Hosting-adapted-due-to-the-energy-crisis/td-p/1...

Thanks!

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen