County of Los Angeles STR Ordinance

Prada3
Level 1
Stevenson Ranch, CA

County of Los Angeles STR Ordinance

Did anyone else get this letter?  I am curious as how the County got my information?  I posted a room here on Air BnB, but I never posted my address and never even rented out the room, but nonetheless I am against this ordinance.  We should all call in to the Board of Supervisors Meeting on July 18 to provide our feedback.  Isn’t imposing income tax on amount over $600 enough tax?

thanks for reading!

modificada.jpg

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

8 Replies 8
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Prada3  These are taxes that guests pay, not you. I don’t think it’s unfair for guests to pay accommodations taxes, regardless of whether they are staying a hotel or an STR. 

Prada3
Level 1
Stevenson Ranch, CA

Why would you want your guests to pay more?

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Prada3 , any city/county that allows/approves short term rentals in their jurisdiction will collect a form of tax (TOTs).  The same is required of hotels/motels. As @Pat271 , stated, this tax is charged to the guest.  If you wish to offer a spare room in your home as a short term rental it would be best to comply with the counties short term rental ordinance. As to how the county was able to find your listing, there are firms out there that contract with cities/counties, using software that can detect/locate short term rentals. Theses firms also offer systems/program that monitor compliance and rules and regulations on behalf of cities/counties. 

I don’t think calling into the Board of Supervisors will do you any favors. Consider yourself lucky that the county is allowing short term rentals as there are a number of cities that are banning short term rentals. 

That is incorrect, we do not have to just bow down to what elected people are dictating to us ** **! This is the United States of America and we the people run the country not the other way around!

**[Generalizing Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that our Nondiscrimination Policy  doesn’t allow for discrimination based on age,  race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, gender or sex. 

Snoop0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I think it's absolutely critical we organize and reach out to as many Airbnb guests and Airbnb hosts as possible as well as neighborhood homeowners. Because this is the government telling you who you can and who you cannot having your home. This is the opposite of the Third Amendment of the constitution. They cannot tell you nor force you to House people in your property nor they can the government tell you who you cannot house in your own personal property.

There's a meeting scheduled for this month.. everyone needs to be there

Screenshot_20230907_144026.jpg

Samantha1238
Level 2
Topanga, CA

Hi!  

My name is Samantha and I'm a short term rental host in Topanga.  

Check out and sign my petition against the STR ordinance as written!  And spread the word!

https://www.change.org/p/say-no-to-unincorporated-la-s-proposed-short-term-rental-restrictions-on-ho...

There is also a board of supervisors public hearing on Sept 19th!  You can leave public comments here if you can' t attend!

https://publiccomment.bos.lacounty.gov/

Sept 19th 2023

9:30AM 

500 W. Temple, Rm 381-B, Los Angeles, California, 90012 

There are two Airbnb Communities!

The investors and speculators trying to take advantage of the system by buying up homes and apartment buildings just for STR use VS. Responsible Homeowners trying to make ends meet with an additional structure on their property.

We Responsible Homeowners

-Understand the problem

-Understand the need for a solution

-But think THIS Ordinance is taking a sledgehammer to a very nuanced issue!

I signed the petition and agree. I'm planning to AirBnB the ADU I just built. I'm doing it because I don't want a long term tenant, want to be able to use it when it isn't occupied, and want to make extra money on my house. I live in the front house. 

This change.org page has a lot of Japanese, though the text is showing up in english.  It is doing the same thing when I Google it and find the website.