Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

We closed our BnB cottage in March 2020 because of Covid. Yesterday we began accepting reservations for June 5 and beyond.

I thought we were being original. Our listing was updated with an opening statement that Covid Vaccination Certificates are required for every guest prior to them being given a key.  In addition to the Airbnb listing, we will include a statement with our response to their reservation request.

I soon discovered that we are not alone with that requirement.

Has anybody else done this? Has Airbnb made a statement about it. 

187 Replies 187

IMHO Anybody can find a fraudulent doctor to write a note. 

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Jude9 In the Netherlands doctors get fined for gevingerd such confirmations. But I think your soluties is the perfect one. Thanks

Groetjes Katja

@Katja202  Well, of course doctors would not only get fined, but perhaps lose their license to practice if they write fraudulent letters, pretry much anywhere.

The problem is that how would a host or anyone know it was fraudulent?

@Mary469 THANK YOU! I live in Florida, and I totally support requiring vaccinations! 

You are kidding me?  Deny a job, housing etc to another human being because **  Really?

**[Content removed due to its unverifiable or misleading nature] 
Jamie

98% recovery rate with lifelong medical issues!!  You need to do more unbiased research.

@Jamie362  You need to inform yourself. 

My partner and I came to the same conclusion. We know there are rare individuals with medical conditions (heart disorders in particular) who can’t risk the vaccine—and would welcome them if they got tested in advance—but in general, we feel we must “walk our talk” and require our guests be vaccinated. Universally, they all have been grateful and supportive of our position. Thoughtful, informed people are inevitably excellent guests.

Jeanine116
Level 3
Vittoria, Canada

@Katja202 Now that there is a safer way to reduce the spread of COVID19 (by getting vaccinated if we're eligible), then that's what I expect we all should do.  When we know better, we do better!   My guests actually enter my home through the same door as we do and occupy many common spaces while they're visiting.  We are fully vaccinated and we fall into the "high risk" category should we contract COVID.  For the protection and safety of the guests and hosts, it only makes sense to add a vaccination requirement.  Requiring a vaccine no more discriminates against my guests than a seatbelt requirement when driving a car -- it's for everyone's protection.  I have had several guests since implementing the vaccine requirement and all of them are more than happy about it.  Getting vaccinated is a sign of respect and I sure do like having respectful guests in my home.  

Susanna307
Level 2
San Bruno, CA

Yes, I totally agree. Asking for vaccinations is not discrimination. 

I only wish that Airbnb would take it upon themselves and ask all of our guests to do the same. Until then, I will ask that of all my guests. 

@Susanna307  I wish they would at least give it as an option. Here in the states, Canada and maybe some countries in Europe, there is the luxury of enough vaccinations for all at this point. Other countries are not all as fortunate. Not sure about Europe, but, most others don’t. Having the option seems fair to me. Requiring it for a multi-national situation is a lot to ask of a company.

Steven60
Level 1
New York, NY

I just emailed airbnb with the suggestion that they add a tickbox saying COVID-19 Vaccination required for all eligible guests" to make it easier for hosts to add this requirement and easier for guests to choose properties that require this.  Many hotels now require it - so why can't we (easily)?  I suggest we all do the same to put pressure on them.

I have already done this but I added that they have to upload the proof, the same way they have to upload their driver’s license. People who have been vaccinated seem to appreciate this requirement. They might be even more comfortable if they didn’t have to send their personal info directly to the host, but, only to Airbnb.

Mary4369
Level 5
Fayetteville, AR

I switched to instant booking (like I had in the past) & put a required vaccine in my -rebooking message as part of the house rules. (I also have no pets due to severe allergies.) Will Airbnb support me if I cancel a guest who does not comply with rules?I switched to instant booking (like I had in the past) & put a required vaccine in my -rebooking message as part of the house rules. (I also have no pets due to severe allergies.) Will Airbnb support me if I cancel a guest who does not comply with the rules?

Frugalmary
Michelle2137
Level 4
New South Wales, Australia

I don’t see airbnb making a stand on this because they will no doubt leave it up to the hosts like always to enforce rules. They lose nothing. Honestly I think everyone should be pressuring them to take a stand one way or the other. It’s just getting a bit ridiculous when we are in business with someone who is profiting solely thru our businesses that they are not upfront. Regardless Australia is standing on everyone being vaccinated or they just can’t leave their homes to travel shop or visit anyone.  They will literally be in lockdown until they are vaccinated. I believe Biden is doing the same now In America so soon it won’t be possible for unvaccinated people to travel at all. I do have a question though regarding the alarming rate of people contracting the virus even when vaccinated. How to deal with that one????