Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

We closed our BnB cottage in March 2020 because of Covid. Yesterday we began accepting reservations for June 5 and beyond.

I thought we were being original. Our listing was updated with an opening statement that Covid Vaccination Certificates are required for every guest prior to them being given a key.  In addition to the Airbnb listing, we will include a statement with our response to their reservation request.

I soon discovered that we are not alone with that requirement.

Has anybody else done this? Has Airbnb made a statement about it. 

187 Replies 187
Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

Do you really want to discriminate against people? Renting on Airbnb has continued as usual in recent months. There were no vaccines and no certificates, so why are we now complicating things all at once. If we stick to the cleaning protocol and all use our common sense, nothing goes wrong for anyone I think

Groetjes Katja

@Katja202  I don’t view it as discrimination. There is nothing wrong with adding it as an option for guests in their search and hosts in their requirements. I find that my guests appreciate it and willingly send proof of their vaccination.

I want to stay safe. I live on the property and some people are high risk. It’s a communal action for the safety of all. It’s not discrimination. That’s an unfair comparison.

No, it's definitely discrimination.

It is not discrimination. And the Supreme Court ruled such in 1905 for the State of Massachusetts and just a couple weeks ago when Amy Barrett (conservative Trump appointee) ruled in favor of University of Indiana's mandatory vaccination policy for students. 

It is not discrimination. And the Supreme Court ruled such in 1905 for the State of Massachusetts and just a couple weeks ago when Amy Barrett (conservative Trump appointee) ruled in favor of University of Indiana's mandatory vaccination policy for students. 

It is not. The Supreme court has ruled in 1905 and last month that mandatory vaccinations are acceptable. Major companies and universities are requiring it.

Katia, this is no more discrimination than requiring

No pets

No children

No parties, etc.....

Mary4369
Level 5
Fayetteville, AR

@Katja202  - I see that you are from the Netherlands, where people seem more respectful (from the 5 visits there. Plus you have great governmental health care.) In the US, there is a large group of people who don't take COVID seriously, don't get vaccinated or wear mask & believe that their "freedom" gives them the right to spread a deadly disease which infects and kills others (including children). I find that vaccinated guests are more respectful and better guests. If my husband and i are vaccinated, block the day before and after & do high level cleaning, the least we can expect is for guests to be vaccinated. I don't want to be around any unvaccinated people (including family), not only because of their shot status, but because I have decided that most of them are only concerned only about themselves & I don't lwant to share my home with them!

Frugalmary

Misinformation removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Jamie

Several vaccinations do not protect people 100%. Vaccinations do work, contrary to your MAGA opinion, and those who do get sick after being vaccinated tend to have less symptoms. I suggest that you do some unbiased research.

@Jamie362  Read the stats other than what you pick and choose to bolster your stance. The people who are now hospitalized with Covid and dying from it are overwhemingly the unvaxed. In areas where a large percentage of the population is vaxed, the infection rate is comparatively low.

That's hard data and science.

No one ever said the vaccine would protect people 100%. 

Mary4369
Level 5
Fayetteville, AR

An as an attorney, it is not unlawful discrimnation. Discrimination refers to characteristics one generally cannot change. Right now, anyone over 12 can get vaccinated! Should we let our health care & economic systems collapse because of the feelings of the few? Let the unvaccinated deal with the consequences of their choice by refusing housing, service, employment & low cost health insurance. There is also the collaterol damage that the rest of us cannot get treated for a car wreck, heart attack or other health emergency because our emergency rooms are overwhelmed! PS I am in a hot zone - the South!

Frugalmary

@Mary4369  Thank you for this. Well said.

@Mary4369  the judges are still out i think. Me for example, i have an immuunsystem that is not okay. Vaccination is no option for me because it maken me even sicker. So I will be even more excluded than I all ready am. So for some people it isn’t a choice. I will no stop discussing this subject. Because we will not solve this on a forum. But i respect the choices people make, but i also think people should respect each otter more.

Groetjes Katja

@Katja202so if your doctor confirms you can't get a vaccine, I as a host would expect a 48 hour covid test instead, and masking, and repeated tests depending on how long you stayed. (FYI, friends of mine who are immunocompromised have made the personal decision that, hard as it may be, this isn't the time to travel)