Do you ask for IDs from your guests?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Do you ask for IDs from your guests?

I have started asking for IDs from all adults about a year ago and has really improved the quality of guests. Airbnb does not verify anything. Years ago a guy registered as "T rex" rented my house and trashed it. Because of that, I thought I needed to take matters in my own hands. It does not even have to be as dramatic as the T-rex party. I have bigger properties so I host bigger groups. I think before I started to ask for IDs, there was a feeling of anonymity by others in the group. If they broke something, no one would notice or it would be someone else's problem. The state of house at departure has improved so much.

It is an ordeal thought and many guests do not like it even though it is in the description, in the house rules and I remind them again immediately upon booking. Peoople claim no one else does this. I have personally been asked for an ID at many Airbnbs.

Do you ask for IDs and if so, how do you handle the process?

3 Replies 3
Elena4354
Level 3
Porto, Portugal

Hello @Inna22 , yes, I ask the IDs and other personal information as it is required by the law in Portugal. 

As part of the country’s regulations, all accommodations, including hotels and vacation rentals, are required to report guest stays to the SEF (law enforcement agency responsible for border control and the enforcement of immigration laws).

To comply with Portuguese regulations we have to ask our guests to provide us their personal information (full name, date and place of birth, nationality, address, ID number and the country that issued the document).

In case if the guest doesn’t provide us the required information check-in instructions won’t be provided to the guest (we have a self check in system). 

Of course all this information is written in the House Rules section of all my listings so the guests are informed about it before they make the reservation. 

Kind regards. 

Elena. 

@Elena4354 thank you for the detailed reply. Do you get a lot of push back from guests?

By the way, love love Portugal

@Inna22 no problems from guests. It is very important to provide this information in the listing. Also guests receive this information again after reservation with the link to  the registration form. 

And yes, yes, yes, Portugal is amazing 🙂