Do you have insurance?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you have insurance?

410292_GettyImages-867431914_ForYou.jpg

Insurance. A simple search will bring up thousands of brokers and providers, though which one should you choose? What is the right one for me, how much will it cost, and is it worth it? Oh, and not to mention the small print!

Those might be a few questions some of us ask ourselves when we're looking for insurance. Personally, I have insurance in place for almost everything. I even took out insurance for my cat (whom some of you may know), which has saved me a lot of costs.

Do you have insurance in place for your home, and what do you look for when getting one? 

I look forward to reading your replies!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

33 Replies 33

I'll definitely reach out to them. Thanks so much!

Mike from West Palm
Susan4681
Level 2
Waterville, Ireland

I’m curious as to why AirBnB posted this query to begin with? So that makes me wonder: if I have AirBnB coverage AND my home insurance, and a guest, let’s say, starts a kitchen fire, I thought my AirBnB coverage would deal with that issue. This thread makes me wonder if AirBnB would  make me put my own insurance claim in for damage, rather them paying for it. That’s certainly my assumption with having to pay a fee to AirBnB for Aircover. 

Any thoughts?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Susan4681 ! I can imagine you're a bit sceptical about this content especially when it comes from an Admin. 🙂

As OCMs, our job on the community is to drive conversations between Hosts by engaging, making sure everything follows the Community Guidelines, and most importantly of course make Airbnb aware of what Hosts are discussing on the CC. This content was written by @Quincy as we thought this would be an interesting conversation that could help Hosts who are still deciding. 

There are certain things which AirCover doesn't cover, and Hosts may decide to use an extra insurance. You can find more information about AirCover and Host Protection Damage Terms in the links provided. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan4681 

Susan, there are so many hosts out there around the world who are of the same opinion as you.....trust me, you don't have Airbnb insurance coverage! You might under certain conditions get some form of compensation but, Aircover is not insurance and should not be relied upon as a form of safety net.

In actual fact Aircover does far more damage than good because unsuspecting hosts just like yourself Susan only find out when its too late that any claim for compensation will be an adjudicated assessment by CS people who's job it is to limit the company's liability. If you receive any compensation at all, it might be as little as 10% of any claim that you can substantiate! And the hoops you have to jump through and the money you will lose in hosting revenue to get to that point will have your tearing your hair out. I am not kidding Susan, we have seen year after year of this!

My advice to you Susan is to get onto the Insurance Council of Ireland and ask them for a list of STR insurers and select one who will issue you with a policy that details  a defined level of coverage, charges you a set premium and will issue you with a Product Disclosure Statement.

That way when the crunch comes (which hopefully it won't) you can feel safe that you are covered against any eventuality.

Cheers........Rob