Do you really understand your promotion campaign

Answered!
Stay568
Level 1
Oklahoma City, OK

Do you really understand your promotion campaign

️Never run Promotion on OTA without knowledge

Before embarking on a promotional campaign on OTAs to attract more customers, it is crucial to gain a thorough understanding of Airbnb's promotional landscape. I can attest to the perils of running Airbnb promotions without adequate knowledge, as I experienced firsthand.

Airbnb offers a diverse array of promotional programs, including custom promotions, early bird discounts, last-minute deals, weekly specials, and monthly promotions. It is essential to recognize that these programs do not operate independently but rather synergistically.
Unaware of this crucial detail, I activated multiple promotions simultaneously, including a 20% custom promotion, a 20% early bird promotion, and a 10% last-minute discount. The result was an overwhelming influx of bookings, filling our calendar almost entirely. Initially, I was elated by this success. However, upon examining the payout details, I discovered that guests had received discounts of up to 40-50% due to the cumulative effect of the promotions. This realization was akin to giving away our services for an entire month. I share this experience to prevent you from encountering the same disheartening outcome.

Do you have any personal anecdotes of Airbnb promotional mishaps?

1 Best Answer

Hi @Stay568 

So sorry this happened and thanks for sharing the information. Unfortunately, many new Hosts aren't aware of how Airbnb applies discounts. They can sometimes be "stacked" on each other as you found out, which is great for guests, but not really what the Host intended. Always "test" how your discounts will work by going in as a guest and see what happens when you select dates to book that could have multiple discounts. Many Hosts only use weekly, monthly or Custom Promotion discounts and don't use early bird or last minute discounts. You can also use Pro Tools and Rule Sets to modify prices or manually adjust prices. 

Applying Multiple Discounts

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3421

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1

Hi @Stay568 

So sorry this happened and thanks for sharing the information. Unfortunately, many new Hosts aren't aware of how Airbnb applies discounts. They can sometimes be "stacked" on each other as you found out, which is great for guests, but not really what the Host intended. Always "test" how your discounts will work by going in as a guest and see what happens when you select dates to book that could have multiple discounts. Many Hosts only use weekly, monthly or Custom Promotion discounts and don't use early bird or last minute discounts. You can also use Pro Tools and Rule Sets to modify prices or manually adjust prices. 

Applying Multiple Discounts

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3421