Do you think my pet rules are a deterrent?

Do you think my pet rules are a deterrent?

Hi. 
I feel like I keep running off potential bookings with my pet rules. We allow one dog. Our fee is $25. I’ve even made exceptions to the # of pets. When people ask, I send these rules. Most don’t book. I love animals but we have found people aren’t respectful and it’s exhausting our cleaning crew who tirelessly try and vacuum every last dog hair off the furniture. Here they are: to mean? 

Pet rules:
Please understand that some guests love pets, others do not.  Due to cleanliness concerns and hair, we do not want pets on our furniture, especially with dirty paws, this includes the beds. We we would prefer if dogs are not on our furniture at all. Please bring your own blankets to cover our furniture in the event your dogs won’t stay off.

Fines for additional cleaning services will be accessed for excessive pet hair found on furniture or beds.

Please pick up their waste in the yard immediately after since this is a shared space.

Aggressive dogs will not be tolerated. In the event your pet hurts another guest or the pet of another guest, you will be responsible for a doctors fees and/or vet bills. You will also be asked to leave our property immediately without a refund.

1 Reply 1
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Kally-and-Orlando0   I don’t think your rules are unreasonable at all.  We also allow dogs (but not cats after one horrific experience) and have similar rules to yours, but not as extensive.  Pet rules generally will vary depending upon property type.  For example, as you pointed out, with a shared garden it is essential that any mess be picked up immediately.

We do not charge a pet fee at all as this was not an Airbnb option when we started hosting and as we have had no problems (apart from the cats) we have continued not to charge but we do state that any excessive cleaning required due to pets will be charged for.  

We state that pets are not allowed upstairs (due to carpets, soft furnishings, linens etc.) Downstairs has hardwood flooring and leather furniture.  We supply a pile of blankets which guests are to use if their pets do jump on furniture, and we also supply a few dog bowls.  Garden area is to be ‘cleared of any mess and dog toys’ prior to gardener arriving for scheduled works and also prior to departure.

The majority of people love their dogs, (they are like little humans to them) and this is the reason many will take them on holiday with them.  They want to book somewhere that will welcome their pet as well as them and I feel that sometimes seemingly excessive or harsh rules will put them off.  Providing pet items such as some blankets means that guests do not need to haul stuff like that with them and make your accommodation more welcoming.