ECO TAX collection through Airbnb

Answered!
Lawrence320
Level 2
San Pawl il-Baħar, Malta

ECO TAX collection through Airbnb

From Malta, I am registered having a VAT number:(format) xxxx-xxxx Airbnb is rightly not collecting tax on my behalf from my guests. My difficulty is this. I am obliged to collect an Environmental Contribution (eco) from my guests amounting to €0.50c per night per person up to a maximum of €5 for each continuous stay in the Maltese Island. I will then declare and pay it myself to the VAT Dept. Since collecting this tax personally from each guest is somewhat difficult, I would like Airbnb to charge this contribution as part of the accommodation expenses. It seems that this is a common concern among hosts. I cannot find the way to input this data on Airbnb TAX template. Can you please help me, do it? Thank you for your assistance. Regards Lawrence320
1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lawrence320 The simplest way to do this is to add €0.50 to each nights stay and put in your description that the Environmental Contribution is covered in the nightly price. Then if a guest stays more than ten days you just pocket the extra or send it anyway to the VAT department as a present.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lawrence320 The simplest way to do this is to add €0.50 to each nights stay and put in your description that the Environmental Contribution is covered in the nightly price. Then if a guest stays more than ten days you just pocket the extra or send it anyway to the VAT department as a present.

Hi@Mike-And-Jane0,

That was a quick reply offering a  practical solution to my question

I will surely do it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Lawrence320

@Lawrence320 To be totally correct you will also have to have an additional fee per night that kicks in after 1 guest of €0.50. This way the fee per guest is collected correctly. Alternatively just assume a typical number of guests and up the rate by say €1.5 to cover 3 guests. Then if more or less stay you make or lose money but should be ok on average.