Extended home, sharing permit Los Angeles

Kristen716
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Extended home, sharing permit Los Angeles

Hey All:

I've held an extended home sharing permit with the city of Los Angeles for the past three years. I had trouble renewing last year as I could not receive confirmation from the system that my payment and request had gone through.

Finally months after it expired, and numerous phone calls and emails later I received confirmation that I was renewed. Just poof! out of the blue. I was very relieved. 

This year the situation is quite different. First of all I received no reminder to renew from the city. In fact I received no emails from them at all after January 10 of this year. It was almost as if I was taken out of their system. When I attempted to renew this year, my renewal would not go through. I repeatedly called them emailed them and tried to get a response, but the permit ended up expiring and Airbnb immediately removed me off platform. 

I finally resorted to calling my city council office to have them intervene. They helped a bit, as I received an email from City Planning telling me to reapply for a regular permit And once my application is accepted that they would waive the 60 day waiting period  to apply for an extended home sharing permit. This is small consolation, as I'm unable to even get my regular home sharing permit request to go through is it will not allow me to upload my license! Has any had this issue?

I resorted to signing up for the LA City Planning Department's online appointments service. I know these are meant for large city planning projects, but I'm hoping to get someone to meet with me. First available was September 17 at 2 PM so I have to wait quite a while. I'm losing income while I just sit here and try to get this taken care of.

If anyone else has had any luck, please let me know. Help! I'm losing income by the day!

Thanks so much, Kristen 

2 Replies 2
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kristen716 😊

I'm sorry about this situation!

Have you found any answers in the meantime? I'll mention some hosts from Los Angeles here who might be able to help you: @Armond3@Kristen716  and @Colby67 .

Thank you in advance everyone! 

Warm regards🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Danielle513
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Kristen -

I have issues every year with the LA City Planning Department.  It's an absolute nightmare dealing with them and it's clear that the city takes our tax money but does not provide adequate services or staffing.  I'm going through the same thing again right now and I am sure it will take until late Fall to resolve if it ever does.  I'm this close to pulling my ADU off of Air Bnb and renting it out as a therapist's office or something of that ilk.  

Good luck to both of us and please keep the community posted.