Extra charges for water and electricity

Extra charges for water and electricity

Hi

As a host, how does one go about charging extra for water and electricity when it is applicable?

Thanks

Mireille 

79 Replies 79
Layle2
Level 1
West Bay, Honduras

My AirBnB property is in the Caribbean.  Cost of electricity is very high.  We can not factor in the cost of electricity to the rental price.  If a guest would run the AC all day and night we would have to put up the nightly rate too high and thats not fair to all the guests that don't use AC (just for example).  It is standard here to charge extra for utilities.  We say $0.50/kwh and do a meter reading at check-in and check-out.  I comment this in the house rules and also in the main body of the listing.  I agree with the other commenters.  It would be good if AirBnB allowed a dedicated field and value set for this kind of extra charge.  

I may stop renting my place using Airbnb unless this is resolved. Electricity costs way too much money to stay competitive in the market. I may opt for long-term renters instead.

Charge for utilities. 

Meter reading on arrival and departure. State in on your rules.

At the end of the if you rent a house/appartment its self catering. 

Like renting a car.. can one expect fuel to be fully included in your car rental.  

In ireland 1000ltr of oil can be burnt in 5/6 wks in winter. All one does is put it on constant. 

Airbnb should make it easier to collect this fees, 

Airbnb is a holiday home  rental website, 

I agree Brian & Petra, I have made significant losses on renting so not doing much now. It’s quite a relief not to have to replace the linen and worry about the place constantly.  Hmm, and why do people leave the linen splashed with bleach?

I agree Rojian but beware. I have a place in Spain - Costa Del Sol. Tired of so few bookings through Airbnb & extortionate fees for cleaning / laundry I rented my apartment on an 11 month contract. The tenant refused access for tradespeople, kept two dogs in my one bedroom apartment leaving a bed smell and mildew on the walls because she left the windows closed,  broke the TV and took several items with her😟 The property managers advise the place cannot be rented until fixed.  She has also failed to pay the electric and water bill, Total bill so far over €2000 . I have contacted the insurers. Thinking of selling.