Fast Wi-Fi?

Fast Wi-Fi?

Not long ago ABNB added option of measuring WiFi speed.

That begs the question - how it is checked if that speed was in location specified for the lisitng for network of the lsiting?

Another question - why would I want to measure something that I have NO control over, make it legally binding and expose myself to "place is not as described" claims?

Thoughts?

8 Replies 8
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@David8879   Exactly.  Nothing validates where and how you "checked" the speed of the Wifi.  

As to what speed is provided, I simply state that the Wifi is provided by the Name-Brand Cable service.

Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

@David8879 

I found that it won't test over 250 Mbps. Not that great.

Mike from West Palm
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David8879 

I am very wary of this too. WiFi speed can go up and down and we can never have 100% control over it. I just feel like I would be opening a can of worms by promising whatever speed it was on the day I tested it. 

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@David8879 @Huma0 @Michael5047 @Lorna170 

We ran the Wi-Fi test at all properties.  It records formally to your listing details.  Like all attributes on Airbnb, it's just a darn good thing to have all of them filled out to maximize your SEO.  It also makes you look more legit in general.  So I'd strongly suggest you do the same.  Liability for it not working to that standard?  I think that's misallocated fear.  Any reasonable person would know that Wi-Fi speeds can come/go.  We've never had a complaint of any kind and we've had our speed formally clocked for ~6 months now at multiple listings.  

Our speeds have been clocked from 3 Mbps all the way to 413 Mbps (so for @David8879  it definitely goes higher than 250).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Richard531 wrote:

@David8879 @Huma0 @Michael5047 @Lorna170 

Liability for it not working to that standard?  I think that's misallocated fear.  Any reasonable person would know that Wi-Fi speeds can come/go. 

Yes, but this is the problem. Not all guests are reasonable. I very rarely have a guest mention a problem with the WiFi, but one did recently. I went straight to her room and tested it on two devices in front of her and all was working well. I have no idea what the problem was that day, but she admitted it might be her device. After that, she was working from her room and constantly doing video conference calls (I could hear her) for a month. Still, she wrote in her review that the WiFi didn't work in that room because it was at the top of the house, which is not true! It was not only working for me, but I checked with the previous and subsequent guests and they all said it was fine.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Huma0 The guest you mention above is a horrible/unhappy person.  They're out there every now and then.  Whether you'd formally clocked your Wi-Fi in the app would have no impact on her horribleness.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Richard531 

That is quite possibly true. I could tell before she even arrived that she was going to be problematic (should have cancelled that booking, but anyway, it made me turn off IB) and definitely when she arrived I got the impression that she was looking for things to criticise.

I guess it's not a bad thing to have on your listing if it helps with SEO but, so far no guest has ever asked me for the WiFi speed. They occasionally ask if there is WiFi (of course this is specified on the listing) and one guest asked what kind and seemed satisfied with the answer.

Anyway, I may well give it a try, but I feel like I'm probably due an upgrade from my provider by now (I opt for the best available speed at the time, but of course speeds keep increasing) so will probably try to sort that out first.

I am lazy - I run this test in my home on ax giga router and just repeat it from home for all properties. Just joking. Or not.