Fraud

Molly435
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

Fraud

I had Air bnb renters show up at my home 2 days ago. This is how I learned that my home was fraudulently listed on Air bnb. After numerous phone calls  over 48 hours to Air bnb the listing is still active and they just tell me it is under investigation and will take some time. They had a customer report it as fraud and I am reporting it as my personal home that I did not list. In the meantime I am left feeling very unsafe knowing that anyone could show up at any moment thinking they have rented my home.  It is impossible to speak with anyone who can explain to me what sort of investigation they need to do before removing MY personal home from a fraudulent listing.

8 Replies 8
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Molly435 ,

This is chilling! Our other moderator, Jenny has already raised this concern for you. I hope you are safe and this issue gets resolved soon. Please feel free to tag me incase you have any other queries.

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Bhumika

I just had this problem with my parents home.  They received a letter from their HOA that their home was listed on Airbnb in violation of HOA policy.  Problem is my parents did not list their house.  They are 86 yrs. old, my mother is tech illiterate and my father has Alzheimer's.  I am trying to deal with this for them. 

I called Airbnb tech support at 8:43 pm MT tonight.  They refused to confirm or deny that the address was listed or not, said they couldn't search their data base on addresses (really?).  They were completely disinterested in determining if someone has listed my parents house.  I asked to be elevated to the next level of support, they refused.  I asked to speak to a supervisor, they said none were available.  Their suggestion was that if someone showed up at my parents place expecting to stay there that they have them call Airbnb.  This is a very dangerous response.  Strangers showing up at my parents house, expecting to have a place to stay, probably stressed out from travel and thinking my parents are trying to rip them off.

if you can elevate my issue to someone who cares, i would appreciated it.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Try contacting Philadelphia city government, maybe their intervention will get Airbnb moving 

Molly435
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

I had Air bnb renters show up at my home 2 days ago. This is how I learned that my home was fraudulently listed on Air bnb. After numerous phone calls  over 48 hours to Air bnb the listing is still active and they just tell me it is under investigation and will take some time. They had a customer report it as fraud and I am reporting it as my personal home that I did not list. In the meantime I am left feeling very unsafe knowing that anyone could show up at any moment thinking they have rented my home.  It is impossible to speak with anyone who can explain to me what sort of investigation they need to do before removing MY personal home from a fraudulent listing.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Molly435 

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

I've escalated the matter within Airbnb to see if we can get you a resolution to this.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Molly435  Hey Molly,  I'm so sorry you have been so scammed. I hope by now it is all been shut down and you can relax. 

Did you ask the people where they got your listing from ?? Craigslist/ or other with an Airbnb link?? We all need to be mindful and the more info we can know the more we can all guard against such. Since many of us do in fact have listings - the fact that you are not a host really shocks me that someone has done this.

Keep us posted and so sorry this has occurred.

Best and blessings, Clara

Heather1968
Level 1
Bakersfield, CA

Hi, did you ever get the listing removed? I discovered a few months ago that my property is fraudulently listed. I have spent at least 20 hours of my time trying to get someone to do something about it. I just keep getting the runaround. I'm supposed to hear from someone from the "specialized team", but of course no one contacts me. I am soo frustrated. I'm about ready to file a lawsuit.

Amanda2878
Level 1
West Hollywood, CA

Hi Molly, something very similar is happening to me, too, I just posted about it. In addition to feeling terrified, we are incurring fines due to his illegal activity, and Airbnb hasn't done anything about it. I've dedicated every ounce of my free time to speak with Airbnb, only to be disconnected, rerouted, and ultimately dismissed. Airbnb should pay my fines. All Airbnb needs to do is ACT and remove the ILLEGAL listing. 

My only advice (so far) is to contact your local city council or district attorney's office, and potentially the police. Please feel free to tag me with your progress. I wish you the best of luck, truly. You're not alone and I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Nobody deserves this.