Government based Financial Help for AirBnB Hosts

Tim670
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Government based Financial Help for AirBnB Hosts

For those of you struggling in the US right now, please see the following website for financial assistance from the federal government as part of the CARES ACT. Note, I do not work for H&R Block, I just found this website very helpful after reading for hours on this.

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/irs/tax-law-and-policy/cares-act-small-business/

Small businesses (including AirBnB hosts which are generally referred to as independent contractors by the IRS) have four options. These include EIDL (Economic Injury Disaster Loans from the Small Business Administration (SBA)), PPP (Paycheck Protection Program), Employee Retention Credit, and payroll tax postponement. 

You are also generally eligible to file for unemployment at the State level. These vary from state to state. Loss of income, as long as it is about 50% or so, is generally a sufficient reason for most states. 

Act quickly on these. Take charge of this situation. You are not alone. You can and will get through this and we will all go back to making money by hosting. Be resilient and fight for these. There are stories of people having success using the CARES ACT. I am trying several of these myself.

2 Replies 2
Mimi6
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Tim,

thank you for the information. Were you able to get grant or loan through any of these programs?

Tim670
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I was denied for PPP. I was approved for EIDL but did not accept. I have been receiving unemployment for about a month now. I’m not sure if hosts are eligible for payroll tax deduction. I’m looking into it.