Guest didn't provide last name

Answered!
Joe2418
Level 2
Marshfield, MA

Guest didn't provide last name

I accepted a reservation and the guest didn't list their last name on their profile.  I'm not comfortable with a guest who hides their last name.  What can i do?

1 Best Answer
Joe2418
Level 2
Marshfield, MA

Mark, awesome advice.  This is very helpful.  Unfortunately I cannot meet them to check ID however I'd be satisfied with the last name.  I was shocked to discover they don't have to provide a last name, especially in these times with Covid.  

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you state in your house rules that guests need to provide their last name and they don't, message them and ask for it, if they still don't provide your option is to ask airbnb to chase for it and if the guest doesn't provide it, ask Airbnb to cancel @Joe2418 

Joe2418
Level 2
Marshfield, MA

Hi Helen, what if I haven't stated it in house rules?  I didn't think their was a reason to and didn't know guest had the option of not providing a last name. In 2 years of hosting this is the first guest I've had that is withholding their last name.  I've now asked them for it 2x with no reply.  This is making me uncomfortable with the reservation and I don't want to be hit with a financial penalty or a penalty as a superhost. 

Thank you for your response.  Joe  

@Joe2418  I would  (1) message the guest and tell them that for everyone's safety, you need a last name, and that they can either provide on the reservation or [if possible] you or someone will meet them and check their ID, tell them that if they aren't able to do either of these things, that you're not comfortable and will not be able to host them. 

Or, (2) you can just contact Airbnb and tell them you're shocked that they let anyone book with no last name, that the guest has been unresponsive to multiple messages, you feel violated and uncomfortable and ask them for a neutral cancellation...obviously you'll want to be crystal clear that you will not accept a host cancellation or any penalties since it is Airbnb's carelessness that has caused the problem. 

**We did have one guest where this was the case, we called Airbnb as we thought it must be a glitch but they told us, nope, its okay for the guest not to have a last name....the guest agreed to show her ID when she arrived and she turned out to be lovely, but it was really strange and unsettling to know a guest with just a first name could book the property.

Hi Mark116,

I realize this is an old thread but pertains to a subject I'm about to post a question on.  I'm interested in the second option that you suggested to the original poster.  IF a guest doesn't provide a full name but they agree to show their ID at the time of check in, what (in your opinion) would the host do at that time if they weren't comfortable with the ID presented?  

Let's say (and I've had this happen) the guest's name in AirBnB profile was not their real name?  And now you have a person presenting an ID with a different name than the booking. Or, a more realistic scenario, the person that shows up is really not the person who booked because a family member made the booking for them and did not disclose that.  

Another variation on this issue that I had is a booking from 'Joe Smith'...who then sent me his Covid affidavit (required at that time by our state) which had a completely different name on it.  He did not respond to my questions when I asked for explanation.  So my husband showed up to let them in at midnight (!) and didn't feel comfortable asking for an ID even though he knew he should.  It was sketchy all around and they turned out to be guests that we will not book again. 

So - have you had the experience of checking in a guest that has an ID you're not comfortable with and if so, what to do?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nicole2223 

Before assuming that a guest has not given their full name, make sure you check the booking confirmation email.

Some guests do not feel comfortable putting their full name on the profile and don't realise we can't see their surname until a booking is confirmed. Others may use a nickname because that's what they use in their daily life. I have numerous friends who never use their given name because they don't like it.

I had a guest who used just her first name and the initial of her surname on her profile. Her first name therefore appears prior to booking and then the first name + initial afterwards. However, if I go to the booking confirmation, that contains her full name.

On the other hand, if Airbnb is telling you the guest doesn't need to provide a full name, that is worrying. How can they check ID without a full name?

Also, someone turning out who appears to be different to the person who booked is a much more serious issue. I never ask to see ID on arrival, but have put in my house rules that I might, which I think acts as a good deterrent. 

So far, my experience of guests trying to make third party bookings has been pretty innocent. It's usually just guests who are booking for friends or relatives and are just clueless that that is not how Airbnb is supposed to work. It happens quite frequently, but I normally realise in the first few messages what is happening! I just explain to them that it's not allowed.

I am not sure what I would do if a completely different person showed up...

Hello Huma0,

I know what you mean about 3rd party bookings!  In my case they've been innocent as well.

As for the guest with wrong name, in this case, the booking confirmation email contained the same non-name that the AirBNB profile displayed.  So I could only get the name from the guest directly, since Support seemed to think that his ID checked out just fine.  Shaking my head on that one...

Thanks for the reply!

Mark 116, should it be a two way street - I can't see the host's last name - is that normal?

Joe2418
Level 2
Marshfield, MA

Mark, awesome advice.  This is very helpful.  Unfortunately I cannot meet them to check ID however I'd be satisfied with the last name.  I was shocked to discover they don't have to provide a last name, especially in these times with Covid.  

Lauren111
Level 7
Rockport, MA

Like you, I am shocked that guests do not need to use their real names in their profile! I can't believe Airbnb allows guests to put anything they a want in their profile - apparently their identity verification is completely separate, and I could put "Bernie Sanders" in my profile if I wanted, and all Airbnb cares about is that your ID checks out with what you tell THEM. Not much respect (or protection) for hosts in this policy, and I guess I'm forced to put language in my listing that we only accept requests from people using their real names in their profile. Weird.