Guest lock a dog inside the guest room for days makes my house smells like a wasteland

Jasmine3
Level 2
New York, NY

Guest lock a dog inside the guest room for days makes my house smells like a wasteland

Anybody has experience hosting guests with pets? My guest locked her dog inside the guest bedroom and just let the dog pee and poop inside the guest bedroom. The smell lingers in my house despite my running the fan 24*7. Based on my conversations with Airbnb so far, the reps deem it is appropriate to use a guest room for pet's waste land, and think it is host's duty to sleep in a house with dog's pee smell and the host shall pay for the lost of income caused by the guest's pet. What can I do? 

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why are you letting the guest leave their pet unattended all day? 

what did the guest say when you raised your concerns with them about doing this.

presuming you've spoken to the guest and they haven't changed their behaviour?  If so call Airbnb and insist they cancel so you can tell the guest to leave @Jasmine3 

You are funny. I am not the guest's parents, I don't get to tell her what to do. The issue here is how terrible judgment Airbnb applies. These customer service cannot even tell right from wrong. How can they be responsible for dispute resolution when they are not equipped with the knowledge and common sense. 

@Jasmine3 Indeed, you are not the guest's parents, but you are the property owner! You set the rules, and the guest is supposed to obey them. You DO get to tell her what to do when she's staying at your property. 

There's no blame for AirBnB here. You allowed the guest to do what she did, and now you want to hold AirBnB responsible? 

Haha, I am sure you tell your guests not to poop in the bed every time when they check in. Airbnb must pay you well to butter them up. 

Kimberly1019
Level 2
Jackson, TN

This is disheartening to hear that the reps feel it is ok.  As hosts, we cannot monitor the guests 24/7 as we do not stay at the home (unless it was a shared space).  

I am sorry this happened to you.  Hoping you can get it resolved in YOUR favor!!

Thank you Kimberly. I was shocked how unprepared the reps were. Airbnb is supposed to set basic guideline for all guests and hosts to follow so that we don't repeat common sense every time when they check in. It turned out that themselves are not even prepared. Why are we paying them if we get to do everything ourselves?