HELP! Mexico Taxes - VAT being deducted TWICE

Dustin190
Level 1
Washington, DC

HELP! Mexico Taxes - VAT being deducted TWICE

We are having a problem with two of our properties in Mexico, where AirBNB is deducting Mexico VAT twice.  Here's a completely made up example for illustration (percentages are wrong). As you can see, the payout on the reservation history doesn't balance with the payout on the transaction history, and is off by exactly the VAT amount. Yes, they are remitting back the VAT, but they are deducting it TWICE to begin with. We have had countless discussiong with AirBNB but all has been fruitless. Is anyone else having this problem??

I will also add that AirBNB is remitting the VAT to the WRONG account, which is the payout account for a different property under the same host. (For that third property, they are NOT deducting the VAT twice!!) They are constantly paying refunds and other things to the wrong account, and can't seem to get that right either. I don't know if that is part of the problem, but it is clear that the payouts don't match without addressing this problem.

On reservations history:
- Payout amount: $2000

On account transaction history:
-  Amount from guest: $1800
- Mexico VAT: - $200
- Mexico INCOME: -$300
- Payout amount: $1200
- Mexico VAT remittance: $200

To make it balance, we'd need to subtract another -$200 , which is the Mexico VAT a second time.

2 Replies 2
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Dustin190 

Have you contacted Airbnb directly about the issues you're having, and have they been able to help?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Christian3072
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

@Dustin190We’re having the same issue on a high grossing property of ours in Puerto Vallarta. Airbnb needs to address this ASAP, as from what I can tell these funds that are being innaproprietly taxed are non-recoverable. From reading of similar experiences from other hosts in Mexico, it appears this has been a common issue, which Airbnb has not been able to provide a coherent answer.

Airbnb can you please explain why the VAT/Occupancy taxes are being doubled from 19% to 38%?