Have you paused your listing? If not, had any bookings ?

Clay29
Level 3
Houston, TX

Have you paused your listing? If not, had any bookings ?

I forgot to pause mine and got a booking request today, by way of request instead of instant book. I don't know if IB is off due to Covid-19 but the reviews look good except they are asking for a large discount due to economics. These are my thoughts. 

I should have paused or at the very least gone up 10X so no one would book. Too late now. I am housing my aged mother part time with my sister to keep her out of her condo with too many shared spaces . Although the unit is separate, it's too close to avoid all interaction and I have no right to subject my motherto that. At the same time I want to help others but low ball requests make me worry about whether will they take care of the space, especially if this get's worse.

They also want to extend week to week, which sounds suspiciously like skating on a credit card. But then again, the situation is unprecedented and far too many have no way to go so perhaps I shouldn't think like an a!@. The bottom line is I will reject it due to my mom, but unless you want to find yourself thinking these thoughts, perhaps you might want to consider what I had forgotten to do.

With that warning said, do you think it's better to pause or go up on your price?

6 Replies 6
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

@Clay29 Don’t do it. I am in NYC, we had 300+ COVID-19 deaths last night. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Clay29 Pause or up price? - Neither! I've just blocked all dates on my calendar, so that no one can book. My listing still appears, so folk are aware it's there for the future, but no one can book right now!

@Clay29   This request has more red flags than a Soviet military parade. Please, don't put yourself through this. Really, the minute someone asks for a discount they should go to the circular file.

Hosting is not a realistic endeavor under your circumstances for now, so the only thing that makes any sense to do is pause your listing or block your calendar,  until the situation feels safe for you and your family again. 

Wendy1071
Level 8
Mississauga, Canada

The premiere of our province (Ontario, Canada) held a press conference today accompanied by several high ranking medical personnel. The purpose of the release, we were told, was to inform residents about information that all levels of government have but are not being transparent about. The bullet point - 18 months to 2 years before we’ll most likely see an end to this madness. More sanctions were imposed today as well. Currently, we are basically confined to our homes unless we are shopping for food and/or medicine, work at an essential service or have some other essential activity going on.  Fines between $700-$1000 are being issued to people who ignore social distancing regulations.  This is beyond depressing and not at all good for the STR industry, at least in Ontario. I believe Airbnb business in Toronto is going to be hit hard and for a sustained length of time.  I’m not sure what we’re in for next but these annoyances so many write about here may be the least of everyone’s worries. Keep yourselves and your families safe.  

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I've kept my price the same. We choose to do extra precautions, cleaning and disinfecting all which take extra time. I am getting next day bookings but so far keeping busy.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The state of emergency has been extended yesterday. Until May 13. So, my calendar is blocked until this date. But I don't think, that there will be any bookings after. The peak of the outbreak is expected to be between April 15 and April 30.
Almost 500 infected and 14 dead. Another 20 in critical condition. And only 30 recovered so far- for 1 month. Not a good result at all.